Sunday, August 1, 2010

Virgin Harvest: Update #5

Wild blackberries and nasturtiums are growing like crazy around here.  I have been a blackberry picking fool and my sore fingers are evidence of my overzealous pursuit of the fruit.  I'm trying to freeze enough so that I can take a jam-making class with my 80-year old neighbor.  I've been eating my fair share, so we'll see how much ends up in the jars.
This is the first zinnia to bloom.  I started these from seed the first week of April and it took this long to bloom!  Four whole months.  I've lost my fair share to insects and learned a few things along the way.  Next year, I think I'll leave inside another month or so in my garden window to insure that they are strong enough to be transplanted.  I think they are beautiful and wished I had a few dozen more to use for cutting.

This gorgeous specimen is the Naked Lady.  The bulb is so danged ugly and sits above ground.  For most of the year I hate looking at it, but on August 1st it opened up and said hello.  Native and totally self-sufficient.  I can't take credit for them, but do so enjoy seeing them and who doesn't love their name?

Summer surprises.  Since I've been doing this Virgin Garden thing, I've definitely paid more attention to my surroundings.  I've noticed more and felt really awesome for growing something from a tiny seed.

Life is amazing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...