Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Living in the country

We had our rotting garden beds removed, as well as the carpet & weeds that surrounded them (yes, carpet!).  It's this beautiful blank slate now and we have visions of a longer chicken run and a few new sound garden beds for next year's crops.
These little potatoes were harvested just before the big 'ole tractor arrived.  They are volunteers from our composting bin.  I spread the compost earlier in the year and covered with straw.  What a lovely surprise.
The views from our living room and front deck are amazing.  It's what sold us on the house.  They valley spread out below us is such a tranquil scene and I'll never tire of it.  Sissy helped me sew up the new summer bunting and Steve picked up a deck heater, so that we could enjoy the chilly summer nights alfresco.
There has been a tremendous amount of bird activity around our property this summer.  Baby birds being born, a swallow's nest taking up residence above G's art studio door and several dead birds found around the property.  We didn't bury this one, but left him for our neighborhood cats to find.  Circle of life, baby, circle of life.
This is the view of our little houses on the hill (see them up there?  to the right of the eucalyptus grove?) from Middle Road.  I've been enjoying a bit of walking/running routine lately, at the suggestion of my doctor.  It seems that when you are a woman of my age, one must eat better and exercise.  Who ever heard of such a thing?  This is the best way to start a morning.
Grady is studying watercolors with local artist, Jean Warren.  His love of animals and nature are all represented in this (unfinished) painting.
The llamas.  They are such a funny little site to see in the morning. Sometimes they walk by my bedroom window and startle me.  I'll forget they're there and then...Hello!  This beautiful, brown-eyed creature surely has a name and I just can't remember it.
Grady has been all about using tools this summer.  He's assisted his dad on many little projects and was eager to prune the overgrown honey bush underneath his bedroom window.  He selected this bush years ago from the nursery and it reminded him of something from a Dr. Seuss novel.  I agree.
I harvested about two dozen garlic bulbs this year.  I planted them late and some were a bit on the small side, but it made me proud nonetheless.
Biking on country roads has been all the rage with this young man.  He takes off and I run after him.  He's learning the rules of the road, gaining confidence and some mad endurance.  He's had a few falls and an injury or two, but he jumps back on and is ready for more.  He just shared with me that he wants to be a professional cyclist when he grows up.
With the demise of our flock earlier this spring, we have to buy our eggs from local farmers.  I just love this sign and my new egg vendor.
The clouds over Valley Ford earlier this summer went on for miles.  Little, puffy, cumulus, cotton ball-like clouds.  They danced across the vast blue sky for days and punctuated an already perfect summer landscape.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...