Sunday, January 11, 2009

Women's Christmas, Working for the Man & 1964

Every year on the day of the Epiphany (on or around January 6th) our friends throw a Women's Christmas Party and it is a wonderful way to start the new year.  Ginny Bassi & Cathy Tennant are amazing chefs and hostesses and entertain a group of up to 75 women in their home in Bodega Harbour.  It's a fantastic time to chat with your friends and I've met authors, winery owners and eccentric retirees.  The women who host this fete are such seasoned hostesses and always make their guests feel at ease.  The food is amazing and you leave with a beautiful ornament hand-created by them.  Completely spoiled on a Saturday afternoon.  What could be better?

I left this lovely party and headed to Gourmet au Bay to "cover" the shop for approximately four days.  I was a little apprehensive, but after learning the new computer system - I was off and running.  It was great to see familiar faces and get back in the swing of things.  The view from our deck is amazing (we purchased the building in January of 2008).  One of the best spots to have a glass of wine and appreciate the bay.  After my tour of duty, I felt happy to still be a part of Gourmet au Bay - but know that selling was the absolute best thing for us to do.  Frequent visits will satisfy me for now.....and lots of wine.

Steve's 45th birthday was upon us and he wanted to head to Lake Tahoe and introduce Grady to his first snow.  Needless to say, we were all pretty excited.  I think the attached video should say it all.



As I type this blog, I realize that I will include a lot of Grady-isms or Grady firsts.  This week has been quite full....

1.  First visions of snow in Lake Tahoe, along with sledding exhibition in Heavenly;
2.  "Mom, my life is changing.  I don't need to sleep with any stuffed animal.  I'm changing.";
3.  Ate his first Italian wedding soup and LOVED it.  Major feat for us, as he usually consumes air for dinner;
4.  Gondola-ride in Heavenly...we felt like we were flying.

I'm finishing up Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and believe it or not, we're getting chickens come Spring....all the fresh eggs I can handle!  This book is amazing and really makes you think about the way you shop, ingest, harvest, seek out, appreciate, gift and consume food on a daily basis.  I am going to try and be more mindful of how I purchase and consume food.  Our local markets and farmers need my support.  As a mother, woman, wife and friend, I hope to share in my experiences and reap the benefits of local food enjoyment and pass them on to those who dine at my table.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...