Sunday, February 8, 2009

Birthday Party, Chinese New Year & Local Eateries

Quite a celebratory week here on the range.  We celebrated my step-dad's birthday this week at our house and Grady helped me make the Hecht Family Kahlua Kake.  I've been making this cake for approximately 10 years and it's always a hit (thanks to Jan's perfected recipe).  You can have your cake and alcohol all rolled into one delicious dessert!



Chinese New Year was last week and I was geared up all this week to head to San Francisco to enjoy the sites and smells of China Town with Grady.  He'd been fighting something all week and developed quite a headache, cough and fever - so we had to nix the plan.  I did head to an asian market in Cotati and, as you can imagine, it was not quite the same thing.  We did discover that Steve was born the year of the dragon, Grady was the year of the sheep and I was the year of the dog.  Grady didn't actually want to go to the city because "he loves his home too much".  He started lobbying earlier in the week for us to stay home because "home was like his blanket".  After he uttered these words, I quickly wrote them down.  I told him those words would make a beautiful poem.  Every morning thereafter I asked him what home meant to him and he told me a few things.  And I wrote them down.  At the end of the week we had an amazing, compilation of words and thoughts about home.  It really showed his feelings about what we've created for him and how strong he feels about home and himself.  Here it is...

Home is like my blanket.
Home is sweetness.
and no harm.
Home is nice.
and dry and warm.
Home is beautiful.
and colorful.
Home is for snuggling up.
and happiness.
I feel like a home that walks.

We have found a new babysitter and Grady was elated (and smitten) that she was watching him Friday night.  Hannah is her name and she is already booked for next Friday night.  My mom usually helps us out, but her work schedule has changed and it's going to be nice to have someone else in a pinch.  We actually had a Friday night date and went to our former shop (Gourmet au Bay) and then to have an intimate diner at Terrapin Creek in Bodega Bay.  This used to be the Seaweed Cafe and the new owners are fantastic.  The food was so good and the dessert was incredible.  They sent us home with cookies for Grady and I can't wait to go back.  We have just a few restaurants in Bodega Bay and this is such a nice, fresh surprise of a place.

We also had the pleasure of dining with Bert Rangel & Family at Nick's Cove Saturday afternoon.  G stayed home with my brother and we drove down to Marshall for a lovely afternoon with Bert's family and his parents.  It could not have been a more perfect day.  It was warm out and no wind, as we walked off the lunch on their private pier.  I was reminded, again, that February is my favorite month of the year on the coast.  It's always super green, with a sea of mustard growing in the surrounding fields and clear days (with rainfall usually happening at night).  

We're getting ready for Valentine's Day this coming weekend and Grady has been preparing homemade cards for his classmates and teachers.  He's also started reading a bit more this week and identifying words on boxes of food, magazines and books.  He's cautious about it and seems a little skittish to declare that he can, in fact, read.  However, he's definitely turning a corner in that regard.

Another lovely week in Valley Ford and on the coast.  I couldn't ask for anything more.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...