Wednesday, February 1, 2012

nuggets :: recipe for adventure

This is how I know I'm getting older.  I have to literally keep a running list of notes or bullet points of things that we did over the last week on my desk or laptop, so that I can remember to look for the pictures from said week and have something to share in this space.  Believe me, if I didn't do this, I would probably only remember what happened five minutes ago.  And even that's a stretch.

Our week was really full of work, so I also made sure to carve out a bit of time for a few days of play with the boy.

nuggets.
Art studio.  I was coming into the home stretch with my purging quest this last week of January and had yet to tackle the newly created art studio.  It has been a catch-all for all things artsy and crafty.  Lots of good intentions gathered under one roof and it was bursting at the seams.  I caffeinated myself up and went on an organizational bender.

We gifted several treasures to G's former preschool, where they happily accepted embroidery hoops, wooden hangers, oil cloth, fabrics & beautiful paper & fabric covered boxes.  It felt good to give them a new home.  A home where they would be loved, appreciated and used.

On a rather odd note, G gathered up all of the dead flies & ladybugs from the window sills of the studio and saved in a jar for future use.  He has a painting idea percolating for his father.  Hmm.  Perhaps letting his watch the David Lynch documentary was not a good call.

Since the art studio is in better shape, the boy has been drawing more, hanging out in there listening to Michael Jackson on his iPod and playing with his small animal toy collection for hours on end.

When I asked G what he liked best about his art studio space he said, It gives me room to think and let my ideas grow.  You know, my best ideas come in the morning.  Oh, be still my mama heart.  
I've been using the photo editing website Picnik and really like their collage effects.  After I finally learned how to use them, I received word that the site is closing down in mid-April.  As a consolation, they have given free access to their premium settings.  Therefore, I'm going to be collaging it up here quite a bit until the curtain closes on their site.  I'll be researching Photoshop Elements (and when I say I'll be researching - I mean Steve) to see if that program would be helpful for editing and cataloging photos to use here.
Book lover.  This sweet little pocket dictionary was such a treat to rescue from a friend's thrift store donation box.  It's almost 50 years old and made my little book lover's day.  G used it to impress his best friend.  He was also real eager to take it to school and bust it out if and when someone needed to know how to spell the word Sphinx or needed a definition, of course.
Recipe for an awesome weekend, as follows:

  • Take your son to his basketball game and witness a victory.
  • Drive over the Golden Gate bridge and spy dozens of sailboats on the bay and crystal clear blue skies.
  • Hit the Goodwill in Japantown while you're killing time waiting for Benihana's to open for lunch.


  • Go to 826 Valencia Street's Pirate Store.
  • Witness your son bust out a pirate dog & pirate parrot for the wench on duty in order to get a chance at digging for buried treasure!
  • Visit a taxidermy shoppe and see a Unicorn.  Yes, a unicorn.  


  • Learn from the owner of Photobooth that the Polaroid Land Camera you purchased for $5 is actually worth more like $200 and is in stellar condition.  
  • Visit a small art gallery and practice your art appreciation skills.


  • Enjoy ice cream cones while people watching up and down Valencia Street.
  • Stumble into Dog Eared Books and get lost for an hour in their jam-packed, artful store.


  • Watch your son take your camera and capture the world from the backseat of your car.
  • Hear these words as you unlock the door to home at the end of the day:  Mom, this was the best day of my life.  So far.  I don't think you can ever top it.
This recipe will serve almost anyone.  
Feed your soul.  
Leave you satisfied.
Feel free to adapt.

Happy Wednesday.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love best days :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...