Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day Love

Pastures Preschool Art Show + Winter Open House 2013
I love returning to Grady's former preschool.  It is always beautiful and inspiring.  Always.  We popped  in to the winter art show, perused the original art and purchased a few treasures to bring home.  Hallmarks of Valentine's Day were everywhere and original prints and screen printing of the childrens' misshapen and totally original hearts were a lovely sight.

We've had a warm spell and it reached the low 70's this week.  We read and lunched on the deck over the three day weekend and did a little late winter gardening.   Better late than never.
We have been working on Valentine's cards for weeks and we finally mailed the last of them a few days before the holiday.

Grady asked me to make him a shirt that said "FREE HUGS" and I think it is just the cutest thing ever. Clearly, he has a special someone he wanted a hug from, but would not reveal that to me.

I make him soft pretzels with pink sea salt and chocolate-covered strawberries for his class party this year.  I just dropped them off and didn't stay.  I'm learning to give him a little more space and, yes, it's hard.  Especially when he's wearing a "FREE HUGS" shirt and all the girls are chasing him around the playground.  I guess I better get used to it.
I really like what a sweet holiday this is.  I know most people think it's a marketing scam for flower shops, restaurants and Hallmark, but we really don't buy into all of that.  Rather, we make each other cards, make a meal together and have a sweet treat to share.  We gifted Grady a subscription to National Geographic magazine and I scored a red Converse t-shirt for him at Hospice Thrift.

Here's a poem Grady wrote for his father and me.

This is Love
by Grady S. Hecht (your "special" son)

Is this love?
Chocolate doves and puppy love, is this love?

Self-love and, is this love?
Sort of?

Not boxing gloves, not any of the above.
Is this love?

This is Love.
Steve slaves over homemade crab cakes every year and I just absolutely think it's the greatest gift he could give me.  He only does this on Valentine's Day and it's a labor intensive task, but totally worth it (says she who doesn't have to do it!).  This year, Grady ate two of Steve's wasabi-laced cakes and loved them.  We topped it off with chocolate-covered strawberries and a game of chess.  I cherish these sweet, small traditions we're making.
Prepping Canvases
Watercolor note cards
February shadows
Blue Monkey Valentine for Steve
There has been quite a bit of art going on around here.  G has recommenced lessons with his private art teacher and has been readying his canvases with watercolor ground.  This is a new process for him/us and I can't wait to see what he creates.  

I've also been dabbling in making little watercolor note card sets and think they are alright.  I love color and the watercolor medium.  It appears effortless (even though it is not) and simple and I'm pleased with the results.  Watching my son paint, create and try new things has bolstered me in this area.  I also love painting alongside him.
I've been baking and cooking a lot lately.

We've been getting back into a regular routine of work, basketball practice & family dinners and keeping our weekends plan-free.

Our new routine is that I'm on early morning duty during the school week.  I ready his breakfast and pack his lunch.  I make a carafe of coffee and get a little work done before SL is up.  He generously drives G to school while I sip coffee, shower or work in my pajamas for an hour or two before I really have to go to the office.  It's a nice, new rhythm.

Grady has been doing the chicken chores without any fuss.  He's still forgetful, but does them when asked.  What a difference four years makes?

All this kid wants to do this weekend is go to the Rohnert Park Library.

Steve mowed the yard for the first time in a long time.

Grady picked me the first daffodil bloom of the season.

I love right now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...