Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Where the Red Fern Grows

Last night we watched Where The Red Fern Grows.  I had never read the book or seen the movie.  What a tear-jerker.  Of course, my dog-loving son really enjoyed it too.  According to an old Indian legend, only an angel can plant a red fern and wherever it grows is sacred.

The movie actually motivated me to repot my very own fern that has been getting beat up by the garden hose for almost four years.

In the one shady spot on our property, in back of our house, lives a sad looking fern that has been trying to grow up through the rock bed.  It is constantly getting stepped on and abused by our green garden hose when we watered the flower and vegetable gardens.  I finally transplanted it into a wine barrel, mixed up the soil and gave it a good watering. 

It's doing great after being transplanted and I look forward to cutting fern fronds to help beautify the house, as well as using them for art projects with G.  It only took me four years to get around to doing this.  Hmm.  Glad we rented that movie.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...