Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mom

Joining the world on September 1, 1970 to the teenage couple, Donna & George.
Mom, thanks for teaching me the value of cute patent leather Mary Janes at such an early age.  I would learn many valuable accessory lessons from you over the years in terms of shoes, handbags, sunglasses and, of course, jewelry.
I have many memories of my younger years reading with you for hours.  How you used to put me in the basket on your bike and we'd ride all over town because you didn't have a car.  Sending me to the landlord's house to play and coming home with peeled tangerines secretly hid in my pockets that you would discover at the end of the day as you were putting me to bed.  Oh!  What a mess I was.  
My first childhood movie memory was going to the Pomona Drive-In with you and dad and watching Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke.  Yes, you were parents in the early 70's alright.
This is one of my favorite photos.  You look so beautiful and that's quite a cake for a two-year old!
I fondly remember sitting on the front porch and waiting for daddy to get home with you.
You had many looks in the 70's and I was apparently one of Santa's helpers in this green elf get-up!
Thank you for the baby pink bedroom complete with a canopy bed, eyelet bedspread, stuffed animals & baby dolls, a walk-in closet that housed my eclectic array of tennis outfits & hippie dresses (as well as for hiding in from you when I was in trouble) and making it a little girl's dreamy retreat.
Thank you for trying to make our holidays more normal than those you had growing up.  For importing flocked trees, hanging mistletoe, keeping the Santa dream alive and then teaching me how to make it all go away on December 26th.  I still follow your lead on that one, Mom.
I love you lady.  Happy Mother's Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many happy memories with you and your mom. Happy Mother's Day to both of you!!! Much love to you both!
Love,
Stacy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...