Sunday, December 23, 2012

Making :: Holiday Version

I went into this week feeling a little anxious for all that we had to do, make, finish & pop in the mail to our loved ones.  I knew I needed to ask for help from the guys and really try to enjoy it, rather than be a grinch about the whole thing.  I had a good talking to with myself and we moved through the week as a team.
Our Advent for Monday was to read our holiday book collection after dinner.  Grady dug in and read most of them to himself.  A few, he read to us.  He delighted in making us laugh and The Twelve Days of Christmas [Correspondence] by John Julius Norwich and illustrated by Quintin Blake is still our very favorite.  I gifted this sweet, little book to Steve during our first Xmas back in 1998 and absolutely love the British sarcasm and wit this book provides, along with vivid illustrations.  
Molly Wizenberg's Peppermint Bark has an alias - Peppermint Crack
Making took center stage at this week.  There are always so many homemade projects that I want to include, but I'm never quite done with them in time to fit in the mailers.  We had to streamline the process and mail some of the packages later than scheduled.  In the end, it all worked out.

Molly Wizenberg's amazing peppermint bark was not fit for mailing, as it was best served slightly refrigerated.  Best. Idea. Ever.  Yes, it was labor intensive, but so very, very satisfying.  I vowed to do another batch this weekend.  It's like legal crack and I felt justified in spending my time making it and gifting it.  Win-win.
Tuesday after work I was running errands and as I was driving home around 4 pm and watching the sun dipping down on the horizon, I was moved to hit the pedal to the metal and get home for the promised Advent of the day :: Hike to the top of the hill behind our house as a family.

Grady sketched a family of deer that we spotted on our way up and we celebrated our arrival at the tippy-top!  As the sun was setting, Grady posed for a victory "double peace" pose and we ambled down the hillside.  Steve joined us on our descent and the brisk early evening air reinvigorated me for the evening ahead of us.

We were cutting card stock and hand-stamping postcard-sized pieces to bundle into little gift sets tonight after dinner.  We had each carved stamps with our own design and now set to pressing them into color ink pads and transferring our little works of art onto paper.  They turned out just beautiful and we used the bulk of them as teacher presents.  I can't believe I didn't snap any photos of this activity.  So unlike me.
G's library is lit up
Mobile Library visit garnered 8 books read in one day & the star ratings left on orange sticky notes on my desk
Day 19 of Advent left me perplexed. We have done so many lovely things and I wanted to make Day 19 an easy one.  Jill had left a few boxes of white LED lights for us to use and I decided to decorate Grady's bedroom as an after school surprise.  Bingo!  He loved it.

Steve's Grandma Lavinia used to decorate her children's room with lights and their very own small Xmas tree.  I think this is the sweetest idea ever.  Space is always an issue in our tiny home, so I opted for a Lavinia-inspired decoration and the lights did the trick.  Grady has been waking up early to read by their soft glow.  It looks magical in his room and it felt magical doing it for him.
We finished packaging and labeling our canine cookies.  Steve brewed a batch of homemade kahlua and we made labels for same.  G's only request from me for Xmas was to paint him a tree.  Bam!  I did that, too.  Oh, my list as long this week, but with the help of my family I was able to methodically cross things off my list and that felt really good.
Day 20 of Advent left us wide open for leisurely fun. We had a date with Cheryl & Tony in Jenner to sip champagne (and root beer) and admire their Xmas tree.  Afterwards, we stole away for an early dinner at River's End in Jenner and watched the grey skies get bombarded with thousands of seagulls taking flight.
Cookies from Campbell's Bakery in New York from Jan & Van Vancleemput
Friday night found us exhausted and ready to sink into our home routine.  A quiet dinner, movie & an Advent treat.  Root beer floats, again.  No complaints here.
Advent :: Day 22 - Workshop shenanigans with dad
Today was magical.  A quiet morning spent writing thank you notes, sipping coffee and nibbling on gifted cookies.  The Advent for today was to spend time with dad in the workshop.  The guys barely emerged, but I heard lots of sawing and hammering going on.  They were both working on presents for me and I cannot wait to see what they have created.
Glorious peppermint bark
This rooster's days are numbered
The Hecht Family Signage from Kacy many years ago
I had the time to make a second batch of bark, ready the house for McGyver (Steve's dad) and wrap all of Grady's presents.  The fact that our family worked so well together earlier in the week, helped to make the first day of winter break relaxing and enjoyable.

The rains arrived and a huge thunder and lightning storm greeted us late Friday night/early Saturday morning.  The roads are flooded and I think this means it's time to slow down, soak up the season and enjoy my family and friends.

Happy holidays.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...