Friday, May 3, 2013

10

Dear Grady,

So you decided to turn 10 on me this week.  I'm having a hard time believing that 10 years have gone by, but it's true.  

I stumbled into motherhood without knowing if I would be good at it or not.  I had a lot of self-doubt and made many mistakes the first few years of your sweet, precious life.  While I tried my best, I let you and your father down in a lot of ways.  Your father saved me and our family by selling the shop we owned and working so hard, so that I was afforded the amazing opportunity to be your stay-at-home mom.  It was the best thing that's ever happened to me and the best job I've ever had.
Sleepy Birthday Boy w/ New, coveted iPod nano
The past five years have been filled with public school, art lessons, new friendships, tree house building, Lego collections, Pokemon fever, lots and lots of books.

You are funny, smart, silly, interested in the natural world around you and you love to spend time with me.  We try to hit the library once or twice a month and you devour the books as soon as we get back to the car.  Thrifting at the local shops is one of our favorite pastimes.  Our trips to the beach have always been one of my favorite things to do and now you're old enough to run ahead, play chicken with the tide rolling in and climb the gigantic rocks that dot the coastline.  I love watching you enjoy life and hearing all of your tales, as well as questions.
Junior Scientist @ The Gladstone Institute
Extracting DNA from a strawberry + live mice tests
As an only child, you have many opportunities to try new things and a community of friends that cheer you on at every turn.  You are learning so much as an individual and also as part of a team this year.  Your coping skills and ability to fit in and be kind and polite always make me so proud.
And while this birthday has made me a little melancholy for your younger years, I do look forward to the next five years and seeing where your mind and creativity take you.  There is nothing you can't do and I can't wait to see what sparks your interest next.
Grady Long Legs + Fave Birthday Gift
This year you gained a little technological freedom and after serious negotiations (between you, me and your father), we allowed you to use your own money to buy an iPod nano, the model that didn't have wireless connectivity or video games.  It's been hard for me to see that you need more freedom, but your father has convinced me that I need to let go...a little...and so we shall see how it goes.
Post-Fish Fest Fun
Osmosis, Books, Magazines, Gifts from the Sea + Father/Son Shenanigans
Your birthday always falls around Fish Fest weekend and I'm tied up with my volunteering duties and I feel a small amount of guilt about it.  You take it all in stride and never make me feel bad.  This year we celebrated your birthday for weeks!  With the final wrap-up being fun over Fish Fest weekend.
Bed Head + Birthday Breakfast
10th Birthday Lego Cake
Linda Lou made you amazing Lego birthday cakes, per your special request, and you wanted to share with your classmates.  You are always giving and never stingy or gluttonous.  You always share and never seem greedy.

Linda Lou has made you a special cake every year for your birthday since you were four years old.  She is such a special lady in your life and ours.
Fish Fest 2013
I love you, Grady Salas Hecht.

I think you can do anything you want to in life and I can't wait to see the young man you become and grow into.

I'm your biggest fan.

Love you so very much,
Mom

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Don't mind me... I'm just wailing over here. Beautiful birthday tribute to such a killer boy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...