Tuesday, October 8, 2013

October :: Granfondo + 12th Anniversary

October does not disappoint
Life has been so full every single day.  Just when I think I want to come here and write it all down, the next thing is on the calendar and off we go.  I'm not complaining, because I actually like the break it's given me from thinking about what would be pretty to post here or throw up on Instagram.  I like the flow and rhythm we're in right now, as well as the contents of my days, but I also like being the historian for my family, for myself.
MCM chair thrift score!  45 years old with original upholstery and tags
We were out with friends at a museum and Grady casually stated "my mom doesn't really do anything, except lay on her bed and read books".  Huh?  Really?  That's what my son thinks of me?  It stung like a mother f*cker and I let it slowly sink in.
Legion of Honor with Cheryl & Tony
I laughed it off at the moment because I was a little embarrassed, but I really let his impression of me sink in during the two-hour long ride home from San Francisco.  And while I know I do more than lay on my bed and read books, it really bothered me that this is what Grady thinks I do all day.

I decided to share with him what goes into my day as I'm making lists, jumping on the computer to pay bills, readying his breakfast and lunch, scheduling social events, prepping dinner, going to work myself and shuttling him to and from his many sporting events.  I gently reminded him that trips to the library, museums, chess club and shopping don't happen without a mom willing to do the driving.

He was immediately sorry for what he said and that wasn't what I was going for.  I didn't want to chastise him for his thoughts, but I did want to engage him in a conversation about the value of what I do for our family.  Quite honestly, I think I make it look too easy.  I think a lot of moms do.

I also thought it was important for him to value what I do as a mother, wife, friend, neighbor and community volunteer.  I wanted him to value this in all women and realized I've been a little neglectful in valuing myself.  And so, here we go with another tweak to our days - sharing all that goes into making our household run, WITHOUT BEING A MARTYR.  I have my work cut out for me, but since I am woman - no problem.  I'll make it look easy. ;-)
There has been much to celebrate these days with little Sophia (my goddaughter) turning 10 and a group of my close friends walking in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in San Francisco last weekend.  We cheered them on and enjoyed this perfect weather that the last weekend in September affords us year after year.  We also welcomed the autumnal equinox and enjoyed sunrises that have been out of this world.

The guys participated in Levi Leipheimer's Granfondo event this past weekend with the Rangel women.  They opted for the Piccolo route which was 32 miles of bicycle riding through picturesque West Sonoma County.  They finished in a little over four hours, one bike crash (no substantial injuries) and I was so proud of them.  They had trained little and that concerned this lady, but in the end the experience strengthened their resolve to train for next year's ride.
Grady, Steve & Isabella rode together for most of the ride and Sophia & Stephanie powered through a little farther back.  I absolutely love seeing what strong and sweet kids we are helping to navigate this world.  I have no doubt that these memories and experiences will galvanize them as friends and help them to become good citizens of this earth.

I didn't play a lot of sports growing up, but I'm slowing understanding the value of Grady being part of a team and trying new things on for size.  His soccer team just battled for first place in the Under 12 division and the lessons learned from his coach have been invaluable.  Next up...basketball season.
Our his + her stack for this month
Our library visits have morphed and changed over the last year or so.  Not so long ago my boy was reading with a big goal in sight (he read 417 books in 2012!), but since school let out last June it's been all about pleasure reading.  He can quickly fill his book bag and max out his library card with 30 books, most of those being graphic novels.

I've been doing my fair share of research and adding a few books to our mobile library list.  He used to just dive into whatever I recommended, but he's pickier these days and it's getting harder to entice him with award-winning authors.  I have found that if I at least start the book for him or read the inside jacket, he'll give it a whirl - but only if it strikes his fancy.  If not, it's cast out.  If he doesn't care for the title or cover artwork - gone!  He's ruthless right now, but still reading up a storm (on his terms).

I was having a conversation about e-readers the other day with a friend and Grady piped up that he didn't ever want one.  It would seem a natural fit, since he flies through books, but he shared that he likes going to the library too much and holding an actual book in his hand.  This was one of my proudest mama moments of late.  And while the appeal of an iPod touch still floats around in his head, the iPad or Nook or Kindle are not something I have to worry about for right now.
"12 Years" a Portrait of Us by Grady Salas Hecht
Us back in 1998
This blog had it's six year anniversary on October 1st.  I can't believe I've been coming here to write tidbits about our life for that long.  Odd and satisfying at the same time.

Speaking of anniversaries, we celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary on Sunday.  We spent the day as a family shopping, having lunch and watching a documentary about the Impressionists.  Quiet, relaxing and just what we needed.  Grady drew a portrait of us as we sat in our respective chairs Sunday evening.

Best present ever.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...