Sunday, December 22, 2013

Ahead of the game

I seem to be ahead of the game this holiday season.  I've been making realistic lists and ticking things off said list like a boss.  I've even taken the time to use my hand-carved stamps to decorate said lists because I just like looking at a pretty list way more than a blank, boring list. Yes, lists make me happy and keep me on track and I've needed a guide to help me get to the finish line before we jump in the car and head to Southern California for the holidays.
The last week was all about getting our packages out to loved ones with enough time to spare so that they arrive before xmas.  And by Tuesday, I was done.
This year family members and very close friends will receive the hand-letterpressed poem that Grady had published this summer over at mamalode.com, along with a family photo and a print of Grady's painting, Invisible World, that will be published in the coming spring.
A calm has settled over our home this season and we're working really hard on keeping the crazy from entering our little abode.  So far, it's worked - but we have had to remind ourselves to check in with each other, look at the calendar and discuss whether or not we just want to fill it up or leave it blank.  And I have to say, it's definitely like stretching a new muscle.  My first inclination is to add it to our calendar, but seeing a stretch of days with nothing on them except work and Grady's basketball practices has been a nice, welcome change.
Steve and Grady went down to San Francisco to see the Hockney exhibit at the de Young Museum and, just like I thought, they were amazed by the body of work of this prolific artist.  We had previously watched a Hockney documentary and thumbed through every page of the exhibit coffee table book and picked our favorites.  G was impressed with the Yosemite works that were produced by using the Brushes Application on the iPad.  Steve loved the massive video installations.  I'm so glad they had this father and son outing and enjoyed hearing their take on this masterful artist.
Grady decided to get all of his hair cut off after his basketball last weekend.  We found a wonderful stylist located next to one of my favorite thrift stores.  Kismit, I tell you.  He looks so different!  He's in love with himself and can't stop looking in the mirror or touching his newly chopped locks.
The annual dog biscuit making happened and I went ahead and doubled the recipe and set about churning them out for our canine friends.
Our evenings have been filled with cribbage matches between the guys, while I clean up the remains of dinner and the day.  This bonding over cards has been sweet to witness.  There is a lot of math happening but, more importantly, the gentle ribbing and smack-talking that accompanies this nightly match makes me smile as I shuffle around the house and overhear bits and pieces of their father-son banter.  Grady finally beat his father this week for the first time.  A big, big event around here.
The only social obligation we had on the calendar last weekend was the annual Jenner Xmas party.  We have been attending this social event since Grady was two years old and we were deemed honorary Jennerites from our dear friend, Cheryl.  She pours her heart into this little event and finds delight in the children sitting on Santa's lap, singing carols and having them swirl all around here during this small-town soiree.
I asked Steve to bring his tripod and snap a group photo for all of us.  Bert is acting like a grizzly bear and Isabella is channeling her inner-zombie, but I love it.  It's exactly what I wanted and needed to remember this beautiful day, surrounded by our goddaughters and our favorite Jenner friends.

We all talked about mixing it up next year and skipping the Jenner Community party, but we all agreed we wanted more time with just the nine of us.  Cold bubbly in front of the tree and the children reading my favorite holiday book The Twelve Days of Christmas [Correspondence] by John Julius Norwich.

What a beautiful way to end this quiet, intentional week.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...