Friday, February 14, 2014

I heart Valentine's Day

There is so much to love about Valentine's Day when you have a little one.  This holiday resonates with me because it's all about correspondence and a little something sweet.  I know there is a lot of Valentine's Day angst if you're single, but I really love making cards with Grady and sending some snail mail to our closest friends and loved ones.
Spring fever has arrived a little early in G's fifth grade classroom.  Cootie catchers, folded up (and unsigned!) love notes stashed at the bottom of his backpack and reports of girls chasing him and throwing erasers at him during class.  Also, his hair gel/hairspray/blowdryer morning ritual has been sweet to witness.  Someone wants to look nice for…someone?
Grady has definitely cared more about his appearance the last few months.  Hair, clothing, shoes, accessories and the ever-present, but rotating, hat choices.  He has an ever-evolving style and this year has definitely been about the shoes and the color purple.
I think he has a little crush on a pretty little 4th grader, but he's been tight-lipped about all things that involve girls.  Mom, they're just my FRIENDS and they happen to be GIRLS.  That's it.
I'm still enjoying the time we share together at home making art, reading books, as well as visiting museums and libraries.
We've been heading over to Middle Road after school and I'll walk/jog about two miles and he'll ride his bike alongside me.  He really opens up to me during this time and it frees us both from the confines of our after school routines.  Homework and dinner prep is put on hold for just 45 minutes while we work out the day and release some stress.  We both come home invigorated and ready to dig into our chores.  I'm love, love, loving this new routine and the one-on-one time with my boy.
And while I don't require a dozen red roses or a box of chocolates on Valentine's Day, there is nothing that makes me happier than a homemade Valentine and a few handwritten words.  Always.

This year's Valentine inspiration was an origami heart.  I found a short tutorial on pinterest and showed it to Grady.  He had it mastered in a few minutes and set about using every single piece of small origami paper he had in his studio.  He particularly loved the new patterned paper that my friend's girls sent him for xmas and spent hours in his studio listening to Harry Potter CD's and folding.
Class parties for Grady + some love notes.

Underwood for lunch with my man and my first ever Negroni.

Iron Horse Winery for sparkling wine in their outdoor tasting room.  We just became members!

A leisurely drive over to Bodega Bay for fresh crab for Steve's delicious crab cakes tonight.

A game of Chinese Checkers with the boy.

The Big Lebowski DVD + white russians on the couch with my Valentine.

I love this sweet day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...