Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Fanatics, Fiesta Night & Flat Stanley

Last week was Grady's introduction to real, live, professional baseball.  We took the ferry over to AT&T Park to see the Giants and Dodgers play.  A friend had given us great tickets behind home plate and Grady LOVED the friendly banter with all of the ladies that surrounded our seats.  I didn't appreciate the rude fan behavior exiting the ferry, but G was oblivious to the profanity and mean-spirited Giants' fans...I felt like a real mom yelling at the fans "there's a kid down here" and thinking that someone should wash their mouths out with soap.  I digress...
Anyhow, the best part of the night was the whole part of the night.  Watching G & Steve root for their team, watching their team lose, eating stadium food and seeing the gentle effects of sports brainwashing on my child.  Priceless.


I helped set-up for the PTA Fiesta Night & Silent Auction Fundraiser at G's school last weekend.  The kids made all of the ornaments that were hung from the ceiling and centerpieces on all of the tables.  The food was great and G was so excited to be at school on a weekend.  He even passed up staying at Grandma's house to attend...so you know it was special.



As my friends all know, I love a good silent auction and this was no exception.  I bid and "won" three bottles of '98 Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cabernet, a magnum of Markham Cabernet & tour for four, a facial and a decorative metal tree from Napa Style.  It was a nice event and the money raised went towards future programs for the students of Tomales Elementary School.

My son has a lot of love for the Sharpie pen(s) lately, so I purchased a colorful pack at the art supply store this week and he has been drawing with a vengeance.  He's also had a real interest is the ocean, the Marine Mammal Center and seals lately.  Since we've cut regular t.v. out of his life this school year, I've been checking out nature-inspired documentaries from the Marin Mobile Library.  Last week the focus was a movie I brought home on the deep sea and we had an early morning date on Saturday to have hot chocolate and watch the film.  It was our special time and we learned a lot.  After the movie was over, G created the above picture (jellyfish, clown fish, killer whale and manatee, of course).

My brother has been helping me pull carpet from the garden (used as a weed block, but not at all effective after the years of weeds growing up through it), as well as lots of old wood, wire and sorting out decorative rocks.   He put down a 15 year weed block that wasn't a synthetic rug in a former life (the carpet thing was probably a good idea for a year or two, but really is a pain to remove) and prepared the area for mulch.  The picture above is the final prep picture.

With the help of my husband and brother, my tiny corner of the garden is complete.  I planted zinnias and feather (aka - Dr. Seuss plants according to G) and learned that you can get two yards of mulch from the Petaluma dump for only $15!!!!  It all sounds easy-peasy to me because I didn't have to do most of the physical labor, but I keep telling my brother and Steve that it's a lot of hard work being a visionary.  Yeah, they didn't buy that line either.  

The new chicks made their garden debut this weekend and were seemingly happy in the warm mud.  The newest chicks haven't pecked at us once and they let us hold them.  My older "girls" are crazy as all get-out.  I'm not sure what's going to happen when we put the two groups together, as the older white silkies seem nervous and schizophrenic.  We haven't named everyone yet, but G has two more names picked out:  Harry and Disco.  

Flat Stanley arrived a few weeks ago from my sister's little girl, Madison.  Have you heard of this?  Flat Stanley is supposed to hang out with us, go on adventures, get a few photos snapped and then we are to write about his adventure and send back to Madison to share with her classroom.  So far, Stanley hasn't helped much in the garden - maybe he's a visionary too?

Apparently, he likes pinot noir.  

Note to my sister:  Careful what you ask the Salas-Hecht family to document.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...