Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Apples & Applesauce

Grady and Steve harvested apples of unknown varieties from our trees.  We sure did get a little haul this year.  We haven't had apples on the trees for almost three years, so we were happily surprised at the harvest.
This is a view of our house from the patch of Queen Anne's Lace growing in our field.
My sweet neighbor loaned me this contraption and showed me how to make applesauce.  I made five batches and that was about enough for me.  I infused one batch with red wine and it tasted fine, but didn't have the rich red color I was hoping for.  I think I will try and make it again next year with the Pink Pearl apples, as they have pink flesh and should cook up nicely.
Grady was really stoked that we were making applesauce.  He LOVES apples and now he would have a stash of applesauce for the coming months in his lunch bag.
I loved seeing him out in the yard with his dad.  Power washing fruit harvesting boxes and hauling apples up from our ever-so-small orchard, if you will.
His front tooth is loose, but that didn't stop him from attempting to bite into this one gorgeous apple.  The chickens are enjoying all of the apple scraps and there have been piles of the peels and cores this week.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...