Monday, April 11, 2011

In the Kitchen :: Doughnuts

It all started innocently enough, with an email showing up in my inbox from a friend forwarding me this recipe entitled Easy Doughnuts.  Funny thing was I, too, received this email and saved it for future doughnut-making adventures.  It seemed like the time to make them was upon me.
A quick coffee clutch (a small gaggle of girlfriends) was joined around my table and the doughnuts were ready to sample.  I actually made them from start-to-finish in about five minutes.  Tops.  See the actual recipe here.
Next time around I would make the dough in my breadmaker and roll more doughnut holes, but since this recipe called for a package of refrigerated biscuits like Pillsbury Grands - I went with it.  This really helped facilitate the five minute time limit.  I grabbed a shot glass and made holes in all eight biscuits.  Then I used my dutch oven on the stovetop and there was absolutely no oil splatter when I lowered the dough into the hot oil.  It's literally a minute on each side, so no time to really make a mess, and then I rolled them in sugar & cinnamon.  Ta-dah!  You're done.
I've recently learned a bit about Fika.  Fika is both a Swedish verb and noun that roughly means "to drink coffee," usually accompanied by something sweet.  Fika is a social institution in Sweden and essentially means taking a break.  I love it.  Perhaps the term coffee clutch is going to be retired and I will need to spread the Fika love around town.  Those Swedes really know how to live life.  I see another batch of doughnuts in my immediate future over a Fika with friends.  

Let me know if you try these and have your own Fika!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...