Thursday, December 1, 2011

Make :: Vanilla Extract

This year I decided to get a jump start on holiday gifts.  Yes, it's confirmed - I'm a little bit crazy.  So, on a quiet day back in June I threw together some vodka and vanilla beans, stored it in a dark closet and called it a day.  I love crafting with alcohol, don't you?
The recipe could not be easier and it's so much cheaper than buying it at the store, plus you get to channel your inner-Martha and really now, what's not to love about that?  Here's what I did:

750 ml of vodka from Trader Joe's
2 − 10 Madagascar Vanilla beans

Slit open vanilla beans (long cut down the middle) & drop in bottle of vodka.
Store in dark cabinet or closet for anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months. 
Shake lightly from time-to-time.
Transfer to individual amber bottles. 
That's it.  You're done.  You can add more vodka to your larger bottle & leave the beans in there for your next batch or add new beans, as needed.  
 I used Papersource 1-1/4" inch round stickers as my custom labels.
Super cute amber bottles with lid from Rosemary's Garden ($1.50 each).  I'm just going to add a little ribbon and voila!  The perfect hostess gift for this season and beyond.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...