Thursday, September 20, 2012

The last days of summer

Summer is winding down.  I know this because I'm looking for excuses to celebrate (and cook & eat) the blessed heirloom tomato and justify drinking the last few bottles of Unti rose that's in my stash.
I had a rare day with nothing to do except go to Grady's soccer game.  Steve was occupied for the entire day surfing & playing golf in the Tequila Classic.  Yes, it's exactly as it sounds - a day of surf, golfing & tequila.  I love it when he gets out and has a little fun.  He deserves it.

Grady and I hit the library and stumbled onto (and into) a book sale.  As you can see above, I couldn't leave without a bag full of books.  I felt like I scratched a lotto ticket.  And in case you're wondering :: Yes, I needed four copies of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

We came home and fell into a lazy routine of reading, watching documentaries, slowly doing a few chores, reading again, napping and finally cooking some comfort food.  And reading a little more.  It was the loveliest kind of day.
We've all been doing a bit of purging and rearranging around the house.  G decided it was about time to organize his feather collection and declare which feathers belonged to raptors & which feathers belonged to the growing owl population behind our home.  He tested by flapping the feathers and making his determination based on the sound the feather made.  He amuses me so.
I turned the heater on this week for the first time.  Just for 30 minutes or so to take the chill off in the house.  I broke out the flannel sheets and G moved to the top bunk, which is his fall/winter move - only to return to the bottom bunk come spring.  
Steve has been making the most delicious sautéed padrone peppers.  He moved his operation outside to the BBQ at my recommendation, as they splatter little droplets of grease high and far in the kitchen.  They are divine.  Olive oil + salt + pepper.  Serve warm.
Our days have been full of parties, open houses, soccer practices and school meetings.  My errand list keeps getting longer, as we stock up on kitchen staples for the coming months and prepare for canning a little bit of this season's bounty.
Home projects are taking priority around here and SL has been ticking things off of his to-do list.  He spackled, sanded & painted our kitchen walls - a project that has been on the list for years.  It feels so nice to have this project done.  Next up?  SL is going to build shelves above our newly acquired mid-century credenza.  More photos on that project as it unfolds.
The growth chart on the inside of Grady's doorjamb is one of my favorite parts of our home.  He's fast approaching 9-1/2 years.  I just love his play on words/numbers (above, left).  I think 8 did rage, but he has so much more to look forward to.
Our kitchen saw a lot of apple action this week (I know tomatoes are pictured above, but really the apples were the star of the show this week).  I made blackberry-apple fruit leather and applesauce (with a few blackberries thrown in for color).  Steve made fresh pear and apple juice on his Jack LaLanne Power Juicer.  That machine is so big and bulky, but it did the job just right.  I'm on a little bit of an apple burnout right now, but we still have so many apples to pluck from our trees.  We'll have to use the free child labor we currently have at our disposal.
I've been slowly purging drawers, shelves and file folders.  Funny how much a life can collect over the summer months.  I've been busy list-making and trying to utilize funky little hotel shampoo bottles and soaps.  My spice cabinet is in need of an intervention, as well as my growing pile of magazines.  All in good time.  Autumn is just the time for this kind of purging.

The season officially changes tomorrow night and I decided a new hair color & brand-spanking new lipstick was just what this girl needed to celebrate the shift.  The bleach pictured above?  That's an inside joke for my man.  If anyone in West Sonoma County found out I dyed my hair AND used bleach...I think I'd be kicked out.  Shhh.

Autumn.  I'm ready for you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...