Saturday, September 15, 2012

Welcome, Autumn

Fennel fronds going to seed

The weather has shifted here and crisp winds blew through our valley over the weekend.  Autumn is upon us.  The roadsides are bursting with explosions of yellow fennel fronds and it is one of my most favorite sights to see on my way to and from Sebastopol.
Picture Day 2012
Soccer season is in full swing and Grady helped secure the team sponsorship by writing a heartfelt letter to the owner of Mombo's Pizza, Fred Poulos.  The owner could hardly refuse, as it was so sweet, pointed and shared his passion for pizza, art & playing soccer.  The team is undefeated as of today's date and flying high on their winning streak.  A very different season than the boys had last year.
Books & Blackberries
I'm settling into new routines and just love this time of year.  I feel the urgency to pick blackberries before they shrivel up on their thorny vines.  I have plans of canning as much blackberry jam as I can this year and will employ the boy to help me.

This time of year feels similar to when January 1st hits.  It feels optimistic and wide open, full of possibilities.  School has started, summer is fading and a new rhythm must be created.  This time of year feels hopeful and it is a time to put the garden to rest (what little there is of it), old projects must be completed or discarded and new lists created for the coming months.  I love this feeling.
The new flock & trap door
My good friend and chicken farmer, Anna, gifted us with a new flock of ladies.  They are so cute and all we had to do was fix their trap door and promise to be vigilant about locking them up each night.  I have promised to do so and hope they have long and lovely lives here on Johns Street.
September book club & thunderstorm
Thick raindrops dotted our deck last week and left us with a rather amazing rainbow later that evening. Rain on September 5th was certainly an unusual occurrence, but a welcome surprise.
4th Grader
My little fourth grader has been a bundle of emotions since just before school started.  He has been easily moved to tears and been publicly affectionate with me (which was never the case before).  He has been kissing me on the cheek and willingly holding my hand.  I'm going to soak this up while I can, as I have a feeling it is going to come and go quickly.
Soccer Game at Apple Blossom & Bird Book
Watching our family unfold and settle into the season brings great joy to me.  New dinner routines, work schedules and discussions about our changing days leave me completely filled up.  Our entire family helps put dinner on the table, cleans up afterwards and settles into our nightly rituals of books, teeth brushing & the occasional after dinner drink.  Our home is peaceful this time of year, with little entertaining and lots of family connection.
Homemade thank you note postcards
Art has taken a backseat, for now, as homework and literature take up a lot of our spare time.  G will resume his private art lessons later this month and he's looking forward to working with Ms. Warren, once again.
I recently shared with a friend that taking pictures help me to notice the world around me.  It helps me to pause, notice, reflect, capture and document my life, our life.   A decade or more ago, I'm not sure I would have paused long enough to appreciate the turkey clan migrating towards my home.  I love that I live in a place that inspires me to stop and pay attention to the natural world around me, around us.
My goddaughters' grandmother recently passed away and they released dozens of butterflies in her honor.  It was absolutely magical and beautiful.  One butterfly remained and the girls thought for sure it was their Nana Maria.  I like to think it was, too.
I've thought a lot about my life this week.  Losing loved ones makes one reflect on those types of things.  I feel grateful to have this life, in this place, that I love so much.  I have so much more intention than I ever used to have.  Instead of life just happening to me, I now go out and seek causes that are important to me.  I volunteer and help where I'm needed.  I help friends out when they call upon me.  I try to be more patient and kind to my family.  This is quite a journey, this life.  So much more is revealed to me as I travel through it with eyes wide open.  And while it's not perfect, it's so satisfying to know that if you carve out an existence and keep it simple that you will be rewarded.
I picked Grady up from the bus on Friday and he leaped off the bus and ran towards me with his arms wide open, hugging me in front of his friends, schoolmates and trusty bus driver.

He didn't say anything.
He didn't need to.
Then he walked up the hill with his two buddies towards home.
His home.
My home.
Our home.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...