Thursday, January 9, 2014

50 is the new 40 :: Happy Birthday, Steve!

Steve's 50th birthday was discussed at length this year.  Usually, he's not one for making a fuss about himself but this year was different.  We needed to do something to mark this milestone and we discussed so many options that it finally overwhelmed me and I decided to surprise him with a trip to Costa Rica in March and a plan to skip the parties.  I knew he'd be okay with that.
As the days were leading up to his birthday, I became really sick and bedridden.  My mind was racing and all of a sudden I wanted to do something else to mark the day of his birth.
Luckily, we have very sweet friends who own Rocker Oysterfeller's Kitchen + Saloon and wanted to treat my husband to a special meal and libations on Tomales Bay on his actual birthday.  I rallied and drove my husband down to his surprise birthday luncheon at the Tomales Bay Oyster Company.
Our friends are expert caterers and thought of everything.  Bubbly, specialty tequila, oysters, chili and flank steak tacos.  We laughed, sipped and spent the best four hours on the bay catching up and watching our friend, the chef, work his magic and create his art.  The food and company were  fabulous.
Thanks, Shona + Brandon.  You guys are the best.  Thank you for celebrating my husband and being such amazing friends.  We're lucky to have you in our lives.
We had one more celebration the very next night with a quiet dinner party for eight at River's End.  Again, our friends own this magical place and the wines and meal were over the top spectacular.  Bert even bought a cake and busted out a 1979 Fonseca Ruby Port to punctuate the end of the evening.

In addition to the Costa Rica trip, I wanted to purchase a piece of art for Steve that marked this special birthday.  I ended up purchasing original drawing from our friend and artist, Hannah Day.  It's an ink drawing on recycled paper of a red ladder leaning up against a leafless tree and a dozen or so little tiny ribbons on the branches blowing in the breeze.  I think it's just beautiful and told Steve the ribbons symbolize many of his life-to-date accomplishments, with many more ribbons to come!

I hear 50 is the new 40 and you've never looked better, Hecht.

Happy, happy birthday, my love.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...