Sunday, March 9, 2008

Boot Camp, Memorial, Kindergarten & 100 Mile Dinner





I started off the week at my exercise Boot Camp in Sebastopol on Monday morning at 5:30 a.m. It is unreal that I actually get up at 4:30 and head out the door by 5 a.m. in the morning, but I've been doing it! It's not easy, but I am completely energized and on a high when I finish. I get a lot done in the mornings now and I'm going to try and incorporate an early morning sunrise into my daily routine from now on. I have one more week left, so wish me luck.

I went to walk on Dillon Beach on Tuesday morning with Steve & Grady. It was beautiful, clear and just a little windy. There were a lot of shells and the tide was way out. Grady and Steve played in the water and used their walking sticks to write the alphabet in the sand. I can't believe I've never walked that beach before. It's so close and hardly anyone there on a weekday. After the beach we came home and got ready for our trip to Sacramento. Hugh Flournoy's celebration of his life was held at the USC Capital Center and we were invited guests. It was a beautiful ceremony and I learned a lot more about Hugh and got to meet a few of his friends that I'd heard so much about. I haven't been to Sacramento since I was nine years old and took a field trip with my fourth grade class. We flew on a plane and spent the day in the Capitol. I'm not too sure I would let Grady do the same without me, but my mom must have known how responsible I was as a child and trusted my teachers...

Our friends, Jill & Scott, have an accepted offer on a house at the end of our street. We are so excited for them and cannot wait to have them as neighbors. They start inspections and all of the other fun stuff you do when purchasing a house. Grady thinks it will be "so cool mom".

We had an appointment to visit the Bodega Bay Elementary School on Thursday morning to look into kindergarten for Mr. Grady. It is a sweet school in a great location, if we continue to work in Bodega Bay. There are approx. five kindergartners enrolled and he would be in a K-1-2 classroom with appprox. 15 children. It's a long day (8:30 - 2:50 pm), but I just know he's ready for it. We're also checking out Tomales Kindergarten and Harmony/Salmon Creek School later this month. Living in Valley Ford puts us about seven miles away from each school and they all seem very different in terms of structure and school philosophy. I'm sure we can't go wrong with any of the choices, but we're new parents and just need to check it all out beforehand.

I held book club at my house last week and the book we read was called "Plenty" and it was about a couple that ate only what was grown within 100 miles from their house for an entire year. I went out Thursday to shop for my own 100-mile dinner and it was not as easy as you might think. Berries, avocados, asparagus, potatoes, apples, etc. were all from either Mexico, Chile or Washington. Bread was a bit of a challenge, considering no one could tell me where the wheat source came from. In the end, it really made me think about how I shop and that shopping locally is so important - but still a challenge. The average meal travels 2,500 miles to your plate. That is astonishing to me. Therefore, I've vowed to seek out and/or research more local farms this year and only purchase dairy products that are within a 100 mile radius. This book was really inspiring and I think anyone can do better in this arena...given the inspiration and statistics to the contrary.

Today the time sprung forward and it was a gorgeous day! Everything is blooming (daffodils, cherry blossoms on the neighboring trees, calendula, the grasses are so green and tall). After me and Grady went to brunch at the Valley Ford Hotel, we headed towards Tomales for Straus organic ice cream cones and a walk to Mostly Natives Nursery. Grady helped the staff water some plants and we selected strawberry plants, lettuces and a sticky monkey plant - don't ask. We came home and put on our gloves and started weeding a bed in the back of the house. I soon realized that the job was too big for me and Hecht got the weedwacker going and helped put a dent in the weeds. My goal is to utilize one bed for planting a test garden this Spring. I am not an avid gardener, but I aspire to be. We'll see how it works out this year.

We ate local greens tonight from Farmer George with the prettiest edible flowers and seared ahi tuna. I asked Steve where the tuna came from and he said "Indonesia"....so much for my 100-mile dinner tonight! I can only try to do better tomorrow.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...