Friday, March 28, 2008

Equinox & Easter

Grady's preschool always likes to party, so this week was no exception.  The Spring Equinox party was on Thursday and I asked my friend Katy to join me.  We helped plant lettuces and strawberry plants in the garden.  They ate edible flowers alongside their breakfast of homemade muffins.  Everything Stacy (his teacher) does has beauty and style.  The kids had their faces painted and Scott Vancleemput took pictures of all of the activities.  Katy mentioned that she didn't know a school like this existed in Bodega.  It's the best-kept secret and I'm so glad we found it when we did (almost 3-1/2 years ago!).

The shop (Gourmet au Bay) was extremely busy on Friday and Saturday night.  It kicked my butt!  Spring break is in full swing and I guess that makes people want to drink copious amounts of wine....?  In any event, the shop is doing well.  We've made a few improvements and after six long years, Steve has finally fixed my front door from slamming EVERY SINGLE TIME THE DOOR SHUTS!!!!  Miracles can happen.

I was so exhausted Saturday night when I got home, but we had to paint eggs...or whatever you want to call what we did to the eggs.  We stamped them, put stickers on them (dogs, of course), used markers, real paint, etc.  Grady loved it and that's all that really mattered, but they were a sad lot of eggs.

We celebrated Easter on Sunday with my mom and John, as well as Scott & Jill.  Grady found his eggs accidentally.  He didn't really know the hunt was on until he sat on a hard-boiled egg outside on his little chair.  He then went to fill his watering can to water the plants and found another.  He gasped every single time he found an egg and was so excited by each discovery.  He ate smarties and said that if he ate one every day, it would help him get smarter.  Nice try little one.  He also loved his dog easter basket and the chocolate Cadbury eggs (mom's favorite).  It was so warm out that we put out the fancy plastic pool and he had a swimming good time.

On Monday I received word that a friend's son died and Grady heard me on the phone and asked about it.  I then had to explain the circle of life to him right on the spot.  I did pretty well, as he has a very healthy understanding about death due to his time spent at Pastures Preschool on the farm there.  He also has been through a pet death and understands that things are born and then they die.  I was a little nervous about the enormity of his question but, as usual, he took it in stride and didn't make a bigger deal out of it.  It's amazing when you're direct with a kid how it truly satisfies them.  I like the direct, truthful approach to parenting.  It seems like you don't have to have do-overs and the constant re-explaining of yourself because of what you said in jest.  Just plain easier for me.  I used to think Steve and I were on different parenting ends of the spectrum when Grady was born.  However, the older he gets - the more we agree with how we're raising him.  It feels like we're finally on the same page...hey, it only took five years.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...