Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Girl & The Canner (Part 2)

I rolled out of bed, brushed my teeth, made coffee and set about to finish the rest of my canning.  It is the eve of the eve of xmas and I do love an eve of any special day (birthdays & holidays especially).  This task needed to get done and the self-imposed deadline of high noon was fast approaching.
My father is of Mexican decent, but it is my brother and mother who are the salsa-makers in the family.  We take great pride in our refried beans & kick-ass Spanish rice.  Over the years, the salsa recipe has been perfected and since shared with me.  I decided to start the morning off with tears over chopped white onions & garlic and boiling peppers, jalapeños and tomatillos.  The smells were intoxicating, but it was still a wee bit early to feel like eating salsa.
Here is the recipe, if you're interested:

Salas Salsa
1/2 White Onion (diced)
3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
1 bunch Cilantro (roughly chopped)
4-5 Tomatillos
2 Yellow Peppers
2 Jalapeños
1 8-oz can of tomato sauce
1 8-oz can of water (reserved from boiling peppers)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Boil peppers until soft (reserve the water)
Dice, chop & add as indicated above
Purée with immersion blender and serve promptly
The next endeavor was chosen in the 11th hour.  I had Meyer lemons on the brain, but the recipe was tricky and perhaps not conducive to canning.
The Clementine Cointreau Curd from Ashley English's Canning & Preserving was super simple and tasted divine.  Who doesn't want alcohol in their curd?  Anyone?  I thought so.
My tour of canning duty was done.  These homemade gifts would have to last me through the next few days of gifting.  I learned a few things and look forward to planting next year's garden with canning in mind.

What a nice way to preserve the season.  Wishing you all a happy holiday and sweet time with your families.  Thank you for reading my blog!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...