Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Advent Love

Over coffee with a good friend yesterday, we discussed our love of the Advent calendar.  Now, I assure you that I didn't truly know the meaning behind the calendar - but my love of holiday traditions and a daily treat spurred me into action.
 ad·vent  (dvnt)
n.
1. The coming or arrival, especially of something extremely important: the advent of the computer.
2. Advent
a. The liturgical period preceding Christmas, beginning in Western churches on the fourth Sunday before Christmas and in Eastern churches in mid-November, and observed by many Christians as a season of prayer, fasting, and penitence.
b. Christianity The coming of Jesus at the Incarnation.
c. Christianity See Second Coming.

Well, clearly, our Advent calendar would have to do with definition number one (above)!  The extremely important aspect being time with family & friends, good food, laughter, music, make believe, giving, being neighborly, showing appreciation, baking, sharing, eating, decorating, shiny things, celebrating the change in the season & love.  Lots of love.
I channeled my inner-Martha Stewart and set out to make an Advent tree out of Papersource mini envelopes, hand-stamped numbers and vintage ribbon from the Alameda Flea Market.
I had grand plans of cutting down some natural branches, spray painting them silver and sticking them in a vase.  Rather ambitious, given the late hour last night and total darkness outside.  I settled on this black iron tree that I use for other seasonal ornaments throughout the year.

Grady was delighted and oh so happy to get out of bed this morning and open his "ONE" envelope.  I put four quarters in this envelope for a symbolic $1 on this first day of December.   The other envelopes have a tiny candy, smooth river rocks with tiny words written on them, loose change, tattoos & bread ties (my son loves him a good plastic bread tie closure!).

It is now officially the season in our household.  I look forward to the coming days and remembering what is truly important about this season (according to our household) and keeping it all in perspective.

1 comment:

Irene Turner said...

great idea Tammi, Love your blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...