Sunday, December 5, 2010

Poetry & Parenthood

I'm learning to skate on the ice,
It really is quite nice.
It's only a dream, a great big dream,
I'm learning to skate on the ice.

Tammi Salas, circa 1980
Today we went ice skating for my Goddaughter's ninth birthday party.  It's no secret that I am not a fan of children's birthday parties.  I know, I know.  I sound like a real big Debbie Downer, but I just get anxiety at events that involve unruly children and parents going over-the-top and indulging them, as well as goodie bags containing all sorts of unnecessary stuff Made in China.  I'd like for it to be different, but it's just how it is.  However, in the spirit of trying to take it all in and quit being a nay-sayer, I dove in head first today and tried to enjoy this momentous occasion.  I'm so glad I did.
My son loves a dog.  That is NO secret to the people who know and love him.  Snoopy and Charlie Brown are all the rage these days in the graphic novel section of the library, so this was a day to go down in the memory bank of childhood memories for my guy.  This party could not have been a more perfect fit for my little man (and it wasn't even his birthday!).  Charles Schulz was a genius and the mellow marketing of his brand is something that even I can fully get behind.  Sure, there was a gift store - but it was unattached from the museum and skating rink.  We did buy a "hot dog" and it was served in a paper dog bowl, but I actually thought that was clever and not too over-the-top.  The kids watched the Snoopy on Ice performance and then skated their hot laps for almost two solid hours until their ankles wore out.  I even joined in the fun and enjoyed the unbridled joy and frivolity that ice skating unleashed.  Wow.  Who knew that gliding on ice on a rainy Sunday would make me so melancholy and sentimental?
The above poem was written when I was in the fifth grade.  It's the only poem I have ever written and saved.  As I read it tonight, it reminded me that it could be interpreted as a metaphor for parenting.
I'm learning to skate on the ice,
It really is quite nice.
It's only a dream, a great big dream,
I'm learning to skate on the ice.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...