Thursday, January 6, 2011

Frost Blanket

At 7:35 am this morning I stepped outside to take my son to the bus stop and walk the three mile loop on Middle Road in Valley Ford.  Nature had other plans.  My windshield was frozen over, along with everything else in my line of vision.  It was magnificent.  Cold as all get out, but magnificent.
I warmed up the car and slowly drove down the hill to the bus stop, with only half of my windshield thawed out.  After semi-safely depositing my son and watching him board the bus, I drove over and met my friend for a chilly morning walk.
This Queen Anne's Lace was dried up and frozen over.  It looked so stately and almost as beautiful as when it's in full bloom.   Some consider this a weed, but I absolutely love it and can see its beauty in full bloom and also appreciate it in its decline.
Rose hips was our guess on this one.  What a lovely surprise to find this shocking bit of red among all of the bejeweled and glistening branches.
The barbed wire was like a frozen tightrope, stretched out and showcasing crystalized cobwebs every few feet.

There was beauty everywhere we looked.

I put the flannel sheets on the bed last night.  I had coffee waiting for me at home.  A warm shower, too.  I'm so glad I bundled up, grabbed a friend, chatted my head off during the brisk power walk and stopped to take a few pictures to help me remember this morning.

The walk inspired me.  Nature has a way of doing that.  I can't wait to take my photography class and use our new camera.  iPhone photos have been fun for a quick fix when I'm out and about, but I want to really capture the beauty that surrounds me on a daily basis.

January is my favorite month.
So much energy and hope.
List-making.
Purging.
Planning.
Sloughing off the old.
Staying put.
Nesting.
Reading.
Cleaning.
Retooling.
Rearranging.
Focusing.
Oh, January.  You kick it off.  Thank you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...