Tuesday, April 24, 2012

nuggets :: spring break

nuggets :: little bits of the season in photos and words about the last week, as inspired by dig
Our small community has been buzzing with activity due to the arrival of the tall ships into the Bodega Bay harbor, the 200th anniversary of Fort Ross and the impending 39th Annual Fisherman's Festival.  We did a little t-shirt folding at last week's book club and this year's t-shirt artwork is designed by local artist, Kai Samuels-Davis.  We attended a Vodka & Caviar fundraiser where I actually dressed up in something other than jeans and then totally forgot to take any pictures of the lovely evening.  It was a grand time.

We received a rather mysterious package from Amazon.com via Larry the UPS driver.  There was no gift card enclosed.  Inside the box was a set of two pink flamingos.  Awesome.
It turned out to be a thank you gift from our good friends, David & Manuella, but it also turned out to be the gift that keeps on giving.  Flo (as we quickly named her) packed her bags and said goodbye to her twin, hopped in the back of the car and went on a road trip with us to Southern California.  She had so many adventures.
The Christiansen Clan welcomed us with open arms and we quickly settled in to catching up, being real silly, swimming, lounging, cooking, sipping adult beverages and watching our boys play together.
To say that Grady loved their pool would be an absolute understatement.  I think the above pictures pretty much say it all.
As we settled in to our requisite chairs on back patio and got to the business of catching up,  I was reminded how much I love this family.  My friend is also like a sister to me and we shared stories and caught up on the good (and bad) stuff that life is made of.
There is something very magical about visiting with friends who you have known for 20+ years.  There is history, sure, but there is a comfort built in that is other-worldly and hard to put into words.  I'm home when walk through my best friends' front door.  My kid picks up where he left off with her boys.
Easter Sunday was a beautiful day with loads of food and sweets.  My friend calmly prepped food to feed 26 people and showed me how to hostess, minus the hostess stress.  She is an inspiration.
Flo got a little beat up along the way and, ultimately, lost her legs and retained a bit of water from floating in the pool all evening.  She's such a trouper.
I quickly captured a blurry shot of Alex, Kacy's first born, as she was on her way out the door on a hot date.  These kids are such a love to me.
Grady swam, skinned his knees and played Legos.  We cheered Harry on at his t-ball game and watched him hit three straight home runs!
The trip recharged us and as we drove the long eight hours home, I felt so satisfied.  It was like I was so thirsty and parched and didn't even know it.  I drank from the best friend well and was rejuvenated, my thirst quenched.  

My soul was lighter, my son was happily exhausted.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...