Saturday, July 12, 2014

Spoons by Annie Flavin

Earlier this year, I took a line drawing class that was taught by one of my favorite artists.  It quickly became clear to me that her work ethic and design aesthetic would seep deep into my bones.  My lifelong fascination and appreciation for circles have found a prominent place in my doodling.  Full circles, oblong circles, semi-circles in all shapes and sizes.

Annie Flavin's poem Spoons needed some illustration work.  Annie held a Facebook contest a few weeks ago and she offered a few original illustrated poems as her prizes.  While Grady attended a local day camp this week, I set out to create a few new designs to go with her words.
Black Micron Pen 1.0 + colored pencils
Since I can't really draw actual spoons, I decided to work on interpreting Annie's poem in a more abstract way.

The illustration (above) would have two rows of semi-circles resting back to back, as humans would when spooning.  The pops of color and the not-so-perfect semi-circles would represent all of us.  No two matching or perfectly formed.  Imperfectly perfect.

Black Micron Pen 1.0 + Red Micron Pen 0.5
This design is my favorite (above).  The empty space in between is where I think god/God or energy/Energy is.  It's empty on purpose, but also could be construed as rigid or divisive space; wide open or set free.

The semi-circles on the right and the left stand to represent all of us, as referenced in the poem.  The two red semi-circles (on the right and left) could be the person(s) in the night searching for their god or God, trying to find their church.  The one on the right most likely feels like the one on the left, even though they are separated by the emptiness in the middle and, therefore, they are not alone.

This grouping of semi-circles could also be construed as a congregation.

We are all the same, no matter who or what god or God we believe in.
Micron Pen 1.0 + colored pencils
This last illustration (above) is a series of three wonky hearts (as Annie has three little ones), split in two.  They could easily be fused back together with the assistance of deep love, strength, or gratitude, as mentioned in the stanzas of Annie's poem.  Once again, the semi-circles and sporadic color choices reference all people or the masses and the blank space stands to symbolize an unknown, invisible god or God.

I'm really enjoying reading Annie's thoughtful words and interpreting them through my drawings.  All of these musings are mine and not meant to taint or change the poem in any way.  I'm just sharing how I'm receiving her words and how they flow through me and out onto paper.

I actually quite enjoyed the purposeful negative space in these drawings and they felt hopeful and spiritual to me.  Annie's concept that church can be anywhere struck a chord with me, too.

I'd love to hear what you think.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...