Thursday, July 17, 2014

When I Die by Annie Flavin

"Worlds Collide" Watercolors + salt treatment
Several years ago I attended the funeral of a friend who died way too young.  She was a mom of a little boy and only 42 years old.  Tragic, heartbreaking, sad.  All of it.

I couldn't find a sitter for Grady, who was almost three at the time, so he went with me.  I sat in the back of the church for a full Catholic mass.  I had no idea how long that service would stretch and I sweated profusely and tried to respectfully listen AND keep my three year old in check and occupied.
"Large Dahlia" Micron pen 1.0 + colored pencils
I have a feeling my friend would have understood his sudden outbursts, his untimely laughter, his screeches and his need to climb up and over the pews.  I like to think she would have laughed her infectious laugh and encouraged more of this toddler behavior from Grady.  She totally understood little boys, especially her own.

I wish I had read Annie's poem before I went to that service because then I could have seen my friend in Grady.  Instead, I just shushed him and left feeling like I was only was half-present during the mass and, to be honest, a little (okay, a lot) frazzled.

Annie's poem is a beautiful reminder to appreciate this precious life right here, right now.  I especially love the last stanza.

Let them fill the void that I have left.
Let the children be children and 
let their light shine
through any sadness.
Let them be.
Tell them my name, maybe a story, too.
Remember me.  See me.
In
the
children.
I want to burn this on my brain and remember it when I hear children screaming at a school event, at a funeral or the grocery store.  When I'm uncomfortable at something my child has said, but is his truth.  I want to recall these words to help me have more compassion and see the beauty in the little ones I encounter at the park, the beach or in a quiet movie theatre.

I want to let them be.

I want to remember my friend this way.

In the children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

woah. yes! all of it. i find myself more comfortable when there are children making light where there is heaviness or darkness. let them be. amen!

lara said...

oops, meant to add to above comment...
LOVE the watercolor, too! -lara

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...