Sunday, March 6, 2011

March :: Quest for Knowledge

After months (okay, years) of admiring blog headers from other bloggers, I finally figured out how to put together my very own.  Yes, a small feat, but a feat nonetheless for this not-so-tech-savvy gal.  In less than an hour I researched this project, signed up for an account at Picnik, re-sized my images on Seashore, downloaded selected images, auto-filled a template, rounded my corners (I have been wanting to round corners for months!), picked a pleasing font and actually uploaded to my blog.  Whew.  All before 8 a.m. on a Sunday morning and without coffee.  A feat indeed.
The daffodils are in bloom.  We have hundreds popping up around our property and they are not because of my handy work.  I wish I could actually thank the person who took the time to dig up some dirt and so thoughtfully plant them around our house.  Different varieties are blooming and have added such a nice pop of color to our late-winter landscape.   
Grady reading to his friend in 2nd Grade @ Tomales Elementary School
March 2nd was Dr. Seuss Day (aka - Read Across America). G's class earned the privilege to wear pajamas to school, eat popcorn in class and read ALL day long.  Second grade doesn't get much better than that, right?  Our good friend read poetry to his class and inspired an impromptu poetry reading session led by the students.  The children read about math and science, they read on top of their desks (yes, on top!) and underneath their desks, they read short stories, poems and graphic novels.  What a fantastic day for books and the highlight of our week!
Our fruit trees are starting to bloom.  Late-winter is still here with intermittent rains, but the trees are slowly coming to life.  I hope to focus on our trees a bit more this year.  We have about a dozen trees that need some serious love.  We need to clear around the base of the trees and add a protective mulch to hold in moisture.  It seems that the early warm weather has helped everything move along a little faster this season and it's too late to trim a few of the blooming trees - but we still can prune two or three that have yet to show their stuff.  
There is actually a bee in this picture, but it's hard to see.  I took this shot just prior to leaving for my Introduction to Beekeeping Class at Bee Kind in Sebastopol.  At this four-hour workshop, I learned a lot about beekeeping, the anatomy of bees and how to keep a healthy hive.  I left the workshop feeling intrigued, but still not ready to have a hive of my own.  Maybe next year.

We had friends here from Paris this week and had a blast cooking, playing games, eating a lot, drinking a fair bit, laughing and enjoying ourselves.  Once they left, I dug into my garden books and have read three books in less than one day!  There is something very optimistic about the beginning of March and I've been plotting and planning all afternoon, as well as making lists and I even planted some zinnia seedlings today.  If you get the chance, read these sweet, easy, inspirational books about gardening and - snails.  Yes, snails.
I'll write a post later this week about my garden plans.  I have a fairly clear picture of what needs to be accomplished and I'm trying to be realistic in my goals.  What is it they say about the best laid plans?  Well, a girl can only try.

What a great week for learning and expanding my interests.  Reaping, sowing, finding out that Queen Bees and worker bees are pretty kick ass - much like the ladies I know, reading and applying knowledge, signing up for more workshops and starting the seeds for my future garden.  I can't wait to dig in and see what the spring and summer hold for us on our one acre plot of dirt.  Optimism is a plenty right now for this gardener-in-training and it's nice to know that each year I can learn something from the year before and try to improve upon it.

Just like life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...