Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mother Nature's Arms


::  Map of our home according to Grady

::  The girls having their own kind of Thanksgiving feast

::  Using leaves as place cards this week

::  My brother mocking the Thanksgiving centerpiece and pretending to get lost in it

Mother Nature.  Well, she is appreciated every day around here and tiny bits of her adorn our home in the loveliest of ways.  We have a lot of found objects strewn about the house and I truly feel it is the most satisfying and economical art in our home.  Sea glass and smooth river rocks are displayed in glass jars & vases; we often use small stones as place cards when having guests over for dinner; wild bird feathers collected over the years reside in G's room on a bookshelf; dried opium poppies fill a small vase in my kitchen windowsill; gifted peacock feathers from a friend are perched on my desk; and on, and on.

Naturally, I wanted to decorate the Thanksgiving table with a few elements from nature and stay away from the floral department at the local grocery store.  So, on the way home from Tomales on Highway One I decided to pull the car over, put on my flashers, instructed G to stay put and grabbed my gardening shears.  (Gardening shears it the car?  Oh yes.  I learned this trick from Steve's mother who just can't stop herself from pulling her car over roadside and cutting silver dollar eucalyptus branches as soon as the Thanksgiving dinner dishes are done.  I come by it honestly.)  Well, just as I was madly cutting a few lovely yellow-orange branches to bring home, G rolls down his window, looks at me with his dead-pan expression and says "Mom, you're cutting Mother Nature's arms off".  I tried to explain I was only giving her a haircut, but he was having none of that.  

It's hard to argue with a little boy who has been paying attention to the world around him and has such a love of nature.  He is constantly teaching me and his words did make me pause to think.  I doubted he would yet understand my environmental impact rebuttal regarding the tree branches in question versus those store-bought Ecuadorian roses, but I liked that he spoke up.  I look forward to hearing what he has to say as he gets older and learning what he has to teach me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...