Saturday, November 7, 2009

Turkey Alarm Clock


I'd like to start this post with a few facts:

1.  I like my sleep.
2.  Turkeys are loud.  Oh, and dumb.
3.  I really like my sleep.

What I'm getting at here is that we were awakened early one morning to the sound of three really dumb turkeys stuck on top of the roof of our house.  They had a gaggle of friends screeching at them from the field behind our house (and directly behind our bedroom window).  I'm sure the crew on the ground was like, just fly down and be quiet - the owners of this lovely little house are trying to sleep in and they might eat you if you don't take it down a notch!  The three amigos up above just could not figure out how to get down, so they proceeded to cry for help, squawk, screech and raise a little hell.  I'd like to think I'd do the same thing if I was stuck on a roof, right?  Finally, I rolled my lazy bones out of bed, put on a robe, located my eyeglasses so that I could see what the heck was going on, slipped on my garden crocs and shuffled out to see what all the hullabaloo was about.

As you can see from the pictures above - the wild turkey party was well underway until I showed up and they quickly flew off the roof and into the open field next to our house.  Their so-called friends flew over to meet them and the entire flock had quite a little chat about the shenanigans that just occurred (I imagine all of this, of course).  There was a lot of tail feathers fanned out, loud turkey calls, short flights of fancy and attempts at jumping the fence in the lot next to us.

I don't know why, but this scene cracked me up.  How many people have this kind of alarm clock wake them on a Saturday morning?  It was a little annoying at first, but then it made me smile.  I'm still not a huge fan of the living turkey, but we're learning to get along.  I know their day is coming and like to think of their recent visit as a last hooray before D-day.  Who knows, maybe we'll be eating one of them in the near future.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...