Thursday, February 3, 2011

Adventuring :: My Back Yard

Do you ever have days where you feel like all is right with the world?  Well, last Friday started out as one of those days.
I hosted a very casual picnic in my living room for two of my friends and we drank bubbly (because why wouldn't you?) and chatted about life and caught up with one another.
After lunch we threw on our muck boots and went hiking behind my house, up a steep hill, in the cow pasture owned by a neighboring rancher.
The day was beautiful and cool.  The skies had been grey all morning and were just starting to shed their overcast ways.
We bumped into this crazy looking cow at the very beginning of our adventure.  Is it just me or does this cow look like it has a toupee on?  We nicknamed her Mr. Farley from Three's Company.  I mean, c'mon, crazy looking, right?  What we failed to notice and/or notice and say out loud was that this cow had no udders.  Yep.  A bull.  Perhaps a bull with a very unfortunate hairdo?  Oh, most definitely.  This should have been our first sign.
As we hiked and took in the view, we discussed how beautiful it was and how we should do this every year on our birthdays.  We settled in and got situated amidst the surrounding herd of dairy cows at the very tip-top of the hill overlooking the valley.
And that's when the herd of cows started closing in on us.  We had spread out a colorful towel, opened our special bottle of Unti rosé and poured ourselves a glass.  We toasted Jill for her birthday and then noticed that the dairy cows behind us were coming in for a closer look.  Now, these cows look all sweet and innocent from afar - but they were close and there were quite a few of them. We decided to get up, gather our belongings and head down the hill.  A dairy cow is a large animal and I'd had my recent goat run-in to remind me that I am only 5'4" tall and human!  It was more than a little bit intimidating and we sashayed down the hill at record speed.
In the end, we decided that we didn't need to hang out in the cow pasture to have a good time and I guess we should have known that from the start.  Why did we do it?  Because it seemed fun.  But guess what?
Sipping wine on my front deck is just as fun and a wee bit safer!  In the end, all was right with the world and I now have this silly, shared memory of an adventure gone awry with two of my sweetest friends.  Thanks ladies.  Same time next year?

2 comments:

Jen Davis said...

Tammi, that is one crazy looking Bull! I am glad you are safe girl!

Amy said...

I was told once that if you wanted to see cows up close, lay down in the field, they are super curious and would end up walking over to see what you are up to!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...