Monday, February 28, 2011

Buh-bye February

This month a whole lot of reading was done under this little roof of ours.  With stacks of books covering many surfaces in our home, they are a constant, quiet reminder that we will always have something to do.  

I realized we were fast approaching the one year mark on being a cable/satellite-free household this month.  It wasn't as painful as I thought it might be when I wrote about it here last year.  The upside has been the seamless departure from mainstream media's marketing of things I can do without.  To say that removing the daily TV habit has changed our lives for the better, is an understatement.  I have seen the results and feel really fortunate to have a husband on the same page as me when it comes to parenting our little guy.  

Netflix is our guilty indulgence.  We still watch movies on the weekend, but they are the reward to a week full of work, school, lessons, volunteer work, family time and chores.  I don't see us going back any time soon.  Steve even survived without the Dodgers, Lakers and an entire football season!  What a guy.  

However, upon our DVD player dying late last year, somehow a Blueray DVD player with a built in Sony Playstation made it into our home.  What the hell?  How did that happen?  Who would want that?  Long story short:  My husband doesn't ask for much and he puts up with a lot of my crazy shenanigans.  He won this round.  Let it be known.
G spends many hours in his room on the top bunk reading stacks of books in the "on deck" pile at the foot of his bed.  G is a voracious reader and can go through several books a day.  He's really looking forward to reading the first Harry Potter book the very day that school gets out for summer.  He has six of the volumes perched high upon the bookshelf in his room and he keeps a watchful eye on them.  The question of the day is:  How many more days left until school gets out? There are 102 days left, but who is counting?  He cannot wait to get his hands on that book.  Watching him get lost in books brings back such great childhood memories for me and my love of books and the libraries that housed them.  I still love me a good library and, let's be honest, I even adore the small Marin Mobile Library that treks over to Tomales the first and third Wednesday of the month.  Small, but with a mighty librarian (a dying breed, you know).
Molly draped in a cape - she is a Superdog!
While the weather was freakishly warm for the first part of the month, the rains caught up with us and flooded Highway One a few nights during the third week of February.  We had hail storms, rainbows and power outages.  It's been quite a month weather-wise and the mustard, magnolias, plum blossoms and daffodils are blooming all around us.
The first part of the month teased me into reading seed catalogs and plotting my garden.  It was tank top and flip-flop weather and it seemed like winter was going to stay far, far away.  When the storms finally did hit, I snuggled up and did research on cover crops.  We're on an acre and more than half of our property is full of weeds and thistles.  I am bound and determined to change the weed-to-crop ratio on our property this year.  My escapades will be chronicled here and I hope to succeed in transforming some of our land into beautiful, flowering cover crops and amend the soil in a few of our garden beds to produce the edibles that will get us through the next season.
Oh, how I love these kids.  G and his God-sisters always have a good time together.  Saturday we hit the golf cage at the Links at Bodega Harbour, the basketball-turned-impromptu-tennis court and Doran Beach in Bodega Bay.  As they went from one activity to the next, they were happy together and having a blast.  I think the above picture best sums up how they felt about it, too.
I lugged along another bag of seaglass to deposit at the shore's edge.  The girls picked out some of their favorite pieces to take home and Grady made sure I saved the really rare red one.  I still have a lot more to take down to the beach, but this was a good dent in my over-abundant collection.
This was the perfect way to end the week.  Just sitting there with my friend in the warm February sunshine, watching our kids dig holes, splash in the water, roll in the sand, get muddy, giggle uncontrollably and truly enjoy each other.  The oldest asked that I take a picture of their feet and I think she's got a future in art direction or ruling the world.  Knowing her, it will be the latter.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...