Thursday, February 25, 2010

TV-free

Well, it's been over a week since I cancelled our cable t.v. and there is a definite shift in the ebb and flow of our home life.  The factors leading up to the decision to cancel have been a long time coming, but actually calling DISH network and doing the deed was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I initially vowed to stop watching television for the month of January.  That lasted about 10 days.  I spoke with the husband and he was totally on board for canceling, but requested that I wait until after the Super Bowl.  Easy enough.  That just bought me just enough time to cram in all of the trash t.v. that I would be missing, as well as a few more episodes of Sesame Street for Grady.

But when it was time to call and cancel, it felt a little bit strange.  Why was I doing this?  Surely I could use the $60 bucks a month for something more worthwhile.  Yes, indeed.  I also would rid our household of commercials and the hocking of stuff aimed at my kid.  Super.  However, I think the biggest reason was to have more time with my family without us turning on and tuning each other out.  

The house has had a relative quiet and calm this past week.  I've been in bed most nights by 8:30 pm reading the stack of books that have been collecting on my nightstand.  Actually, we've all been reading more.  The mobile library trip last week was important because I needed to get books that would satisfy me and my boy, as well as documentaries that would get us through the weekends (as movies would be the only exception to the no t.v. rule).  Steve is studying for his broker's exam and been sequestered in the living room every night until he falls asleep in his chair.

I'm an all-or-nothing kind of gal and the truth is that canceling cable was what I needed to do to free myself from this type of media onslaught.  I feel free.  I feel recharged.  I feel a new world opening up around me because I'm paying a little more attention it.  

I have lots of friends who don't own televisions or watch t.v., so I know this isn't a big deal.  I just grew up with a television on all throughout my childhood.  The Brady Bunch felt like extended family, The Love Boat & Fantasy Island were my Friday night rewards, Star Search marked the end of the weekend as it started at 7 pm on Sunday nights.  

Life is full of beauty and opportunities to learn.  I look forward to the coming year exploring the natural world around me, as well as cultivating my interests in cooking and gardening.  Perhaps getting a few more chickens is in my future?  Hmmm.  The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...