Sunday, February 28, 2010

Voodoo to You

This amazing flower is called the Dracunculus Vulgaris (aka: Voodoo Lily).  It stinks something awful and proves that looks can be deceiving.  I've noticed that they are springing up all over my yard and I didn't plant them.  After reading, it appears that after they die off the ants and beetles carry their seeds away and, therefore, help them spread throughout the garden.  Any flower this pretty and showy can stay in my garden, especially if it takes care of itself.  I've never watered or pulled the bulbs out in the Fall to dry them.  Puh-lease.  That would be way too much work.  This gardener-in-training has a new appreciation for self-seeding flowers, especially the ones with cool names like Voodoo Lily.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...