Sunday, February 7, 2010

Superbowl Sunday: Part I

Woke up bright and early and was out the door by 6:30 am.  Why?  Well, it's the first Sunday of the month and that means the Alameda Flea Market was open for business.  
There were so many interesting things and the weather was perfect.  I was looking earnestly for a mid-century danish modern sideboard and found two that would have worked, if they weren't so outrageously priced.
I found vintage phones, luggage and lots of letterpress and typography do-dads.  The Pyrex bowls were calling out to me, but I knew I did not need yet another Pyrex bowl.  I resisted the temptation, but it was hard.
These bags were made from old army blankets and were like messenger satchels.  I contemplated getting G one for school, but felt $40 was a bit high.  Haggling happens later in the day, when the vendors get anxious to move their wares and help lighten their load as they pack up.

I ended up with a vintage metal letter G, a medium-sized turquoise suitcase and 7 slides of trees (for G to look at with his flashlight).   Grand total spent:  $20.

All done before 12 noon to boot!  Whew.  I think I found my new place of worship the first Sunday of every month.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...