Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mid-century Rehab

As any good thrifter knows, it's very important to constantly (okay, maybe incessantly is the right word) scour your favorite little thrifting haunts.  I've been looking for a sideboard for about six months and nothing has jumped out at me in my price range (a whopping $100 is my sideboard price ceiling).

Today my luck started to change.  I paid a visit to my local thrift store and found this dresser, with a missing drawer, no price tag and squished up against another dresser hiding it's coolness.  Kind of being coy with me, don't you think?  I was ready for the courtship.

I liked it, but knew it needed a lot of work.  With visions of said dresser swimming around in my head most of the night, I mentioned it to the husband.  We would be going to town the next day for dental appointments and I figured we could stop by and see if he thought it was worth putting into a rehabilitation program (since he would be doing most, um, ALL of the work).  He didn't fall in love with it, but when the guy told us it was $3 - we both said "we'll take it".

Upon looking inside the drawers, I noticed the marking Harmony House.  I did a little research with searches on Craigslist and eBay to learn that these dressers were made in the 1940's by Sears & Roebuck Co. and, if in good condition, went for close to $500 online today.  I think the thrifting Gods were shining down upon me this week.  Lesson learned: Perseverance and a handy husband are a lovely combination.

After photos to follow in the coming weeks.

1 comment:

The Hip Homemaker said...

This would go in my all-time, best scores category. It is awesome!

I have been looking for a dresser like this to replace my husband's broken, old ugly one for a while. $3 is a total steal.

I found an antique dining table at my first garage sale of the season this weekend for $25 and thought I had done well. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...