Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saturday Night Sculpture

I've been playing around with this Polaroid-like application on my iPhone and thought I took so many photos of Jason McLean's sculpture exhibit in Pt. Reyes, only to find out that I did not.  This is the only image from the show, but it was one of my favorites.  Jason is a Marin native, master blacksmith, sculptor and fire artist.  He works with metal and wood to create raw, expressive pieces of art.  What an amazing show.

Jason is a quiet guy with an incredible gift.  I met his mother and she could not have been more lovely.  All three of her children are artists and she has lived in Pt. Reyes since 1964.

I have a love of circles and sphere-like shapes and that's exactly what he does best.  Outside in the crisp night air was a sphere set on fire and keeping the crowd warm.  The fire department was on hand...just in case.

Two of my speckled sussex chickens originally belonged to Jason and his girlfriend.  We purchased the two hens after "relocating" two of our roosters.  They are named Pretty and Purdy and are doing just fine over at our place.

Jason has built amazing chicken coops and his home is filled with his artistic creations.  He has also built many sculptures for Burning Man and then paraded them through Pt. Reyes during the Western Weekend.  His current exhibit will be on display at Toby's Feed Barn throughout the month of February.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...