Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Mornings

{This series was inspired by my son's sixth grade english assignment
 of writing for six minutes, without edits or overthinking it.  
I'll be posting daily quick writes for the month of March.}

My mind wakes up before my body is ready.  To-do lists are drafted in my head before my feet even touch the cool wood floors.  My bare feet shuffle across those worn Douglas fir planks and head toward the living room.  I click on my desk lamp, open my computer and then take a few steps to the left to stretch my body and absorb the view before me.  

Some mornings I greet the dark and other mornings I greet the sunrise.  It makes no difference to me what kind of view is out there, I'm just happy to meet the day at its inception.  Something about this small act of taking the time to recognize the start of a new day centers me, grounds me.

Quiet blankets my home.  I rub my son's back and kiss his forehead.  This is round one of trying to get him out of bed.  My husband, the night owl, is still in bed and I gently close the bedroom door so he can rest a little longer.  

I set about making the morning coffee and take pleasure in this simple morning ritual.  Grinding the beans, filling the tank with filtered water and pressing the start button.

The day can now begin.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...