Monday, March 2, 2015

Proof of Life

{2010}
{This series was inspired by my son's sixth grade english assignment 
of writing for six minutes, without edits or overthinking it.
I'll be posting daily quick writes for the month of March.}

The sliding glass door shuts and I'm left alone.  The morning routines have been carried out, coffee made and a load of laundry sits on the floor waiting to be loaded into the washer.

I've scribbled in my food journal, drawn lines in my art journal and now I'm here in front of this bright-white screen.  Not sure of what to say today and know that I run the risk of feeling like a broken record.  I'm only two days into this six minute daily exercise of jotting down words here on my blog and it feels weird, forced, unnatural.

Do you ever feel like you have so many things to do in one day that you don't know where to begin?  I feel it every day lately.  My creative pursuits used to be the items that fell to the bottom of the list and slowly, but surely, they have risen to the top.  I wake early to ensure time for these pursuits.  They are now the first things I tend to once I wake up and shuffle into the living room and take a seat at my desk.

Documenting our days, making marks on a page, taking photos - those are all ways for me to try and capture this time in our lives.  I feel a sense of duty to preserve our life in a way that will feel good for us to revisit later on down the line.  Not to be mistaken with making it picture-perfect, but just to have something to look back on and help assist with our foggy memories as we get older.

Proof of life.  I think that's the phrase that resonates with me.

Proof of this life.

Our life.

My life.

1 comment:

Corinne Cunningham said...

Yes... the not knowing where to begin... I feel that all the time.
Proof of life. I like that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...