Thursday, March 5, 2015

Shed [update]

Our funky little pink art studio

{This series was inspired by my son's sixth grade english assignment 
of writing for six minutes, without edits or overthinking it.
I'll be posting daily quick writes for the month of March.}

Shed.

Shed is the word I chose to focus on in 2015 and boy have I been shedding some stuff!

In January I focused on shedding excess from my home.  I participated in Apartment Therapy's January Cure and got really into it.  I purged spice cabinets and organized utensil drawers.  We sold our bed frame and acquired a storage bed from Craig's List.  Clothing, kitchenware and unread books were sent to the thrift stores and local library.

February has been for shedding old habits.  I gave up drinking and wheat, both huge challenges for me.  I'm discovering that I'm also shedding some old preconceived notions about spirituality and judgments of others while I'm on this journey.  Hopefully, all of the shedding will equal a few less pounds on this body - but that's not the point of my alcohol and wheat abstinence - it would be a welcome byproduct though.

Yesterday my old oven range was laid to rest and a new range installed in its place.  My oven had been dying a slow death ever since Thanksgiving and we stretched out it's demise as long as we could.  It felt good to say goodbye to the range that came with our house and usher in the new, stainless steal beauty that now sits in its place.

March will also see another huge appliance leave our kitchen - the clunky, old, white fridge that was here when we bought the place over eight years ago.  It's a total energy suck and on its last leg, as well.

There is something strangely intoxicating (to me) about taking stock of what we have accumulated over the years and being ready to say goodbye to them.

I feel pleased with the process of thinking about objects and finding new homes for them.

I feel stronger as I'm adopting new habits and rituals of my own making.

I feel like I can finally roast some freaking vegetables without it taking seven hours!

Shedding ideas, thoughts, habits, tangible items is my new thing.

I feel lighter already.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...