Friday, March 20, 2015

Now

{This series was inspired by my son's sixth grade english assignment
 of writing for six minutes, without edits or overthinking it.  
I'll be posting daily quick writes for the month of March.}

What is it all really about?  This life?  Family connections?  The stuff we acquire and then purge from our lives?

I feel like there are so many lessons in every day living and, to be quite honest, I don't think I've given much thought to them until I entered my fourth decade.  Before turning 40, I just lived my life without much examination.  Or, at least, it feels that way.

Having a child brings so many situations circling back to you to think about.  Parenthood is like this big mirror and you can either look away and start fresh with your views or take a minute and examine what's in front of you.  What are you bringing to the parenting table from your past?

As my son navigates his pre-teen years, it's becoming more clear to me that I'm parenting from a standpoint of been there, done that.  And I should quickly confess that it's easy right now.  I'm not gloating, but taking a moment to really let that sink in.  I know that hard stuff is coming and I'm trying to relish in the now.

Now he likes to spend the weekends with us.

Now is when he wants to watch silly DVDs and read books about Greek Gods & Goddesses.

Now the library is one of his favorite places to visit and grab a frozen yogurt and talk about his day.

Right now the wildest thing he wants to do is wear the same thing every. single. day.  But even that is morphing as of this week.  He finally relinquished his grey hoodie sweatshirt and I could not be happier.

Now he wants to share his art and play on his iPad.

Now is the time he practices his trumpet in his room before school.

I'm loving right now and feeling confident in my parenting.  I know that whatever the future holds, I'll be ready and until then?

I'm enjoying the now, too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...