Thursday, May 8, 2014

#dayinthelifeofmamalode


I had the honor and fun task of taking over the Mamalode Instagram feed for their #dayinthelifeofmamalode series.  It was a really fun thing to do, but my assigned day was following author Claire Bidwell Smith's day and, well, that was a wee bit daunting.  I wasn't sure how I wanted to share my world and, ultimately, decided to give a mini house tour coupled with truthful words about how we moved here and my initial struggle with motherhood.  Here's how it went:
I'm Tammi Salas and this is my home in the hills of Valley Ford. I'm starting my #dayinthelifeofmamalode series with this photo because we made the move to West Sonoma County shortly following 9/11. We wanted to live in a small town (ours is population 126!) and on our honeymoon in Big Sur decided to sell our home, quit our jobs in Silicon Valley, buy a wine bar in Bodega Bay and start a new life. We immersed ourselves in the community and found out (surprise!) that we were going to have a baby boy. Try selling your house, quitting your jobs, relocating, working together with your spouse for the first time AND finding out your pregnant in the first year of marriage. Let the fun begin by @tammisalas for @mamalode.


I have foggy memories of my childhood and our morning routines growing up. As a parent, I have found great joy in being the first one up, waking my sleepy-eyed 11 year old boy and making sure he eats a good breakfast. I've been leaving notes in his lunch box for years - favorite quotes, poems, reminders. It's my way of saying I love you and putting a little bit of beauty in with his PB&J. By @tammisalas for @mamalode#dayinthelifeofmamalode.


I've decided to share my home, family, my love of books + art with you today. All of which bring me great joy and fuel my life. Our living room overlooks the valley floor and we can see the cars heading north and south on Highway One from where we sit. In the wintertime, I receive calls from locals asking "Is the road flooded in Valley Ford?" I love these phone calls and have, thus, earned my nickname as Mrs. Kravitz, the all-knowing neighbor from the 1970's television series Bewitched. I wear this moniker proudly and love my home + community. By @tammisalas for@mamalode #dayinthelifeofmamalode


Motherhood didn't come easy to me and those first few years were brutal. Colic, sleep deprivation, postpartum depression and lack of family nearby was disorienting and soul crushing. In between the hard times, I'm sure we had a lot of good times, but it's hard for me to remember. I pulled away from my husband and child during that time and chose to spend most of my days (and nights) with my customers and new friends. I drank too much, missed out on a lot and almost lost it all. It's my most shameful period to date, but my husband helped pull me back into our little family and to him I will be forever grateful. By @tammisalas for@mamalode #dayinthelifeofmamalode


So we sold our wine bar + retail shop just weeks before our son started kindergarten. I became a stay at home mom, joined the PTA, read blogs about mothering and interior design. I started thrifting, cancelled our cable tv and acquired our first flock of chickens. I also found an incredible therapist, religiously visited the library and immersed myself in the stereotypical housewife role of the 1960's and happily did the grocery shopping, cooking and laundry. I began seeing the beauty in these tasks and, in turn, finally started to see real beauty in my life. By @tammisalas for @mamalode #dayinthelifeofmamalode


The fun thing about having a kid is that you get this rare opportunity to experience childhood again. Things you totally forgot about come flooding back as your child starts to navigate this world. For me, it was happily falling down the rabbit hole of children's literature and the rediscovery of my love of art. We converted our former well house into an art studio for G. He listens to books on tape, folds origami, plays with his Legos and paints when the mood strikes him. This little studio also houses my over abundant art & craft supplies, deluxe art printer + the walls are lined with G's original works. This is his happy place and mine, too. By @tammisalas for @mamalode #dayinthelifeofmamalode


Headed to the final PTA meeting of the school year. Can I get a hell yeah? By @tammisalas for @mamalode #dayinthelifeofmamalode


This kitchen is the heart of our home and where I spend most of my time. My husband built those display shelves a few years back and that MCM credenza has valuable storage. I usually do my doodling and art projects on this sturdy, worn table. G really wanted to be in this picture and he's fake reading one of his favorite books for you, Smile by Raina Telgemeier.@tammisalas for @mamalode #dayinthelifeofmamalode


A makeshift dinner plan is in the works. Egg burritos + sliced watermelon is about all I have to work with. My husband is at a town meeting and we have only briefly talked today. G is playing on his iPad after earning same by practicing guitar and writing thank you notes earlier in the day. I'm tired, uninspired and ready for an end of the day adult beverage. It was hard sharing here today, but y'all made it easier with your kind comments. I loved sharing glimpses of my home and words about my life with you. By @tammisalas for @mamalode #dayinthelifeofmamalode


Last post for the day/night. This is us. Married for 13 years. Grady just turned 11. I know sometimes it appears as if I only share the beautiful parts of my life via social media. I want to say that when I do that it is not to show off or pretend I'm Martha Stewart (although I wouldn't mind that reference). Quite simply, sharing bits of my day helps me see the beauty in my life. Pictures of the books I'm reading, the art I'm making, the eggs I'm buying from my local farmer, my son's beautiful face, my home - it's all a gentle reminder for me to appreciate what I have. It may seem silly to some, but this little forum has helped ground me into my role of motherhood and I'm not ashamed to say how lucky I am to use it. Good night, Instagram friends by @tammisalas for @mamalode #dayinthelifeofmamalode.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...