Friday, May 23, 2014

Exhale by Annie Flavin

Annie's poems have been feeding my need to make art lately and given me the (ahem) excuse to do so.  I've been playing around with block carving, my typewriters, rummaging through my stash of papers and experimenting with new tools.

Last Friday night, while my guys were knee-deep into a marathon game of Monopoly, I carved the three circles on a large Speedball soft carving block.  It was time-consuming and meditative.  The above design was inspired by the lovely artist, Jen Hewett.  I used bright yellow fabric paint (normally used for screen printing) because I just loved how it quietly popped from behind her words once pressed on the white card stock.  

The circles aren't perfect and that's exactly what I like about it.  I'm really embracing the imperfectly perfect concept lately and finding joy in playing at my kitchen table with my supplies spread out, surrounding and surprising me with what they can do.  This Virgo is letting go of perfection a little bit at a time and holy hell! - it feels good.

The large circle represents Annie and her boy and the place from which he grew.  The second and third smaller circles represent his growing up and finding his own love.  The smaller circle could be Annie tucking her knees tightly into his spot or it could be just him on his own looking for true love.  I'll let the reader interpret as they wish.

Annie has a new website for her beautiful words here.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Thank you. I love this. You don't need my words to create, but I'm glad you enjoy using them because I love the finished products.

Unknown said...

Tears again. I could read this a thousand times and cry every time. I love your art. I love her poems. Grateful I call you my friends. xo Love you both

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...