Monday, May 5, 2014

My Gifts by Annie Flavin

My new friend and poet, Annie Flavin, read these words aloud during the writing workshop I attended last month.  This poem was also recently published here on the parenting magazine website  mamalode.

She completely nails motherhood for me with this poem.

In her words.  

In her demeanor.

She walks the walk.

Using the IBM Wheelwriter 5 typewriter from my office, I typed up the text and made about 20 originals.  After that, I set out to create some original artwork to embellish the empty space in the right hand margin.  I tossed out the idea of using her children's fingerprints, but she wanted something else.  We decided on a few designs that I'll just call a circular flower garden.  They are sweet and simple and don't detract from her words.
Circular Flower Garden Samples

Carving stamps is one of my favorite mediums.  Spurred on by my carving this weekend, I went ahead and signed up for a block printing class at the Makeshift Society later this month.  Our teacher will be the oh-so talented artist, Jen Hewett.  I can't wait to learn her tricks of the trade.

I'm shipping the originals of My Gifts off in the mail today to Annie, along with originals of god's voice.  It delights me to know she will spread them around her world to friends and family.

It feels like I'm sending a little part of me, too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...